My Dream App: "iJams KJ"

All about the iOS / Android / Web / Other apps that can be used with kJams! Questions, bug reports, feature requests!
Jon Leggitt

My Dream App: "iJams KJ"

Post by Jon Leggitt »

I'd like to see either Dave or the iJams dev come up with a KJ-focused app in the vein of iJams. Imagine being able to run your show from an iPad at the other end of the bar. I know that there are VNC and remote desktop apps already, but the amount of lag makes them unsuitable.

But what if you weren't trying to transmit video output at all, but just giving us a command interface for a single application? Would that reduce the latency enough to be able to manipulate singers, song order, playlists and the like remotely, on the fly, with the kind of touch-centric interface that makes iJams so useful? Maybe something that looks like a tabbed browser ([Library][Rotation][Venue], etc...).

I know that this is pie-in-the-sky thinking (and not likely to be undertaken anytime soon, if ever), but I can't express how useful an app like that would be for me, and probably others..

dave
Site Admin

Re: My Dream App: "iJams KJ"

Post by dave »

i know, i've always wanted that too, but it'll be a while.

i've tried to entice 3rd parties into doing such a thing, but it's been slow going.

meawhile have you seen:
http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Remote_Control

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Just use a remote desktop app like WisePC to mirror your desktop onto the iPad.
I use this to control kJams with my iPhone.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yeah that.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Just a thought, Dave, but if you exposed the rest of the control interface of kJams to two way scripting, I might be able to throw together a full web app, once I am a bit deeper into the code.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

umm, like what? pseudocode is fine

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

By which I mean, create command equivalents to send to kJams as in the scripting commands for all the interface elements, in addition to tho ones already exposed (Pause/play, etc.). two way to return error code and such.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sorry, i can't really fathom that. please explicitly list the ones you require do do what you want.

Jon Leggitt

Post by Jon Leggitt »

DeusExMachina wrote:Just use a remote desktop app like WisePC to mirror your desktop onto the iPad.
I use this to control kJams with my iPhone.
Every remote desktop app I've tried is just too laggy to be useable. What I'm talking about is an app that has it's own UI that is populated by kJams, and is customized for touch interface. The fact that there's no video data being streamed ought to reduce or eliminate lag time and make it useful in a show setting.

Jon Leggitt

Post by Jon Leggitt »

Also, I'm not just talking about play/pause and changing volume, pitch and tempo. I want something I can use to arrange my rotation, search, rearrange a singer's songs - the whole enchilada.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i will eventually add scripting capabilities to enable all these things, perhaps DeusEx would be willing to write a web GUI to take advantage of it?

Fiasco

Post by Fiasco »

dave wrote:i will eventually add scripting capabilities to enable all these things, perhaps DeusEx would be willing to write a web GUI to take advantage of it?
I'd like to see an SQL databases solution for the songs first followed by an API for transport control, queuing music ect.

I can do rediculous things if that's in place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a0JKWToojk&sns=em

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

kjams will be converted to SQLite after the 1.0 release

more info here