Possible to Record?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
ThomaMon

Possible to Record?

Post by ThomaMon »

I am just wondering if it is possible to record the person singing while singing to the karaoke?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Possible to Record?

Post by dave »

eventually it'll be built in, but this is what i've got now:

http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Garage_Band

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

I use GarageBand to record singers live but if I put the track on my website I only record the music with the singing.

Set the Input Sound in System Preferences to Line in on the apple and I set the input volume about halfway.

Create a basic track in GarageBand
Incidentally I find GarageBand 08 better than 09 because I can put the controls about 1/3rd down from the top of the window and the place most of the GarageBand window out of view at the bottom of my screen

Take a lead from my amp out to the apple audio in (on my amp I have two phono out plugs with a lead that has two phonos at one end and a 5 mm jack at the other end)

When you've finished recording hit the share button and export to disc, I think you need to choose MP3 Encoder in the drop down box under "Compress Using"
Choose the Audio Settings Quality you want and hit Export
Choose your "save as" name

Alternatively you can export to iTunes, but I export the way described because I then put the track in my website

To increase the speed in getting all this to work I use an Automator workflow
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Ugh, GarageBand, NO!!!!!
I love GarageBand and all, but using it to record live singers is like killing flies with a flame thrower. Overkill. Plus, if you're on a slower system, your machine will start to crawl and your lyrics will hang. Much better IMHO is a single purpose recorder. I use Audio Recorder:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/17392
It is small, light, uses half the system resources, takes up SIGNIFICANTLY less disk space, and, best of all, it's free.
You can even set up different profiles for different venues.
Plus, the interface is small and fits easily alongside kJams, making using the two simultaneously much easier than the huge GarageBand window.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

except that the developer has disappeared. i can't recommend a software if there is no web site or developer.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, except that the software already does exactly what is needed, has never crashed on me, and I can't think of any reason that an update would be needed. Besides which, it's not like Apple is gonna listen to feature requests!!!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

you imply that the developer is Apple?

i just don't want to use or recommend software when there is no person or company standing behind it.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

No no, I am talking about Garage Band.
Using that just to record seems, um, a bit much?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the facts, ma'am, just the facts.

cstanyer

Post by cstanyer »

Sorry to drag up an old thread... I want to be able to record the singers and play it back once they've finished their song.

The way my kJams is set up is that I have the backing track coming from the headphone socket on the MBP into a mixer, the mic's also go into the mixer where the effects are added. What I then want to do is use, say, the tape out from the mixer back into the Mac and record this line-in on one of the above programs or something like wiretap and play it back through the speakers.

Two questions...

1) Is this, technically, possible? I don't want the audio caught in a technical loop (Mac->Mixer->Mac->Mixer) I know that Garageband can turn the monitor off, but I guess I also need to remove any sounds coming from garageband (clicks, beeps, etc.) - which is why I might use one of the other apps.

2) Does anyone know where I put my Griffin iMic?

Thanks you please.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

audio recorder will do this just fine. Just hook line level out from mixer into microphone in port on mac.
Make sure to NOT check "monitor" or you WILL get the feedback loop. Audio recorder is MUCH smaller than garageband, so much better suited for this, especially on slower machines with less RAM. Also, you can just playback with quicklook, then delete the file immediately. Much more convenient. No housekeeping necessary.
And it is only about 600kb (300kb if you use XSlimmer to remove PPC/x86 code)
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/17392

2) Do you REALLY want me to answer that?

cstanyer

Post by cstanyer »

" Also, you can just playback with quicklook, then delete the file immediately. Much more convenient."

I've found the iMic, it was in the drawer that the wife said she looked in earlier!

So I rigged it all up, tested it and it works fine - 'cept I'm not sure what you meant with the comment above?

I record the clippet of song as soon as I press stop it asks me to save the file - no option to listen back? I have to save the file and then double-click it in finder to hear back my dulcet tones through quicktime.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i like garage band :)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

The first part is right. It saves the file to the location you specify. But if you have that window set in column view, the icon is presented in the preview pane. When you mouse over it, a play triangle appears. Just click it, and the file plays. I let it play for however long I want, fade it out on my mixer, and while the volume is down, hit ⌘⌫, which deletes it. Done.
(You can also just hit the space bar when the Finder window comes up, and then hit it again when it is finished playing, and then delete, but the first way offers more control.)

I like garageBand too, but hey, it does seem like overkill. How about Logic or Pro Tools? :)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

actually i hire a band and a recording studio and a couple of engineers to follow me around.