Mixer setup: no sound?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
capone949

Mixer setup: no sound?

Post by capone949 »

How do i connect my mixer to macbook pro into kjams? This should be simple but im having trouble because i dont get any sound. Here is what ive tried, is there any adjustments ill need.
Headphones from mac to rca input on mixer
mixer output to speakers
i had a family party and could not get this to work for the life of me so i used my audio interface that i dj with and just plugged the mics into the back of my powered speakers but one problem is that i cant adjust mic treble or bass etc.... Help!

dave
Site Admin

Re: Mixer setup: no sound?

Post by dave »

i think the problem is in your mixer

1: do you get sound from your mac at all, when nothing is plugged into the headphone jack?
2: do you get sound from your mac in your headphones, when the headphones are plugged in?
3: can you see the levels meter on your mixer bounce when you play a sound on your mac, when you go from mac headphone jack to your mixer?
4: are you selecting the correct input on your mixer?

after that i have no idea. this is unrelated to kJams.

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

Just a thought...is the volume on the computer turned all the way up and is the volume in kJams turned all the way up? If you're getting sound out of one app that's connected to the mixer, you should get it from all apps.
From he to whom much liquor is given...much singing is expected.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Sounds like everything is hooked up okay. I would just make sure you check ALL volumes; Computer master, Kjams volume control and your mixer volume.

Are you running straight into speakers? Do they have a volume? or your receiver if you use one.

capone949

Post by capone949 »

Yes I hear sound when I plug my headphones into Mac. Yes the volumes are up. Yes I see the lights on mixer bouncing up and down but still no sound. I have the RCA cable hooked straight from mixer out to the tv inputs so its easier. I did try to to plug them into speaker inputs as well but nothing. Im using a SAMSON MDR 6 mixer.Its got 1 set of INS and 1 set of OUTS.

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

http://s3.amazonaws.com/samsontech/rela ... _front.jpg

May or may not be helpful, but looking at the picture of the mixer, the following is how I would initially set things up:

OK, so you're plugging RCA from computer to mixer into the "2T IN" set of RCA inputs on the mixer.
The white knob underneath (the one labelled "2TK to Mix") needs to be turned probably midway, because that tells the mixer to route the "2T IN" signal into the main mix.
Underneath that we have a black button labeled "MIX/2T" that I'm guessing allows you to elect to send the 2T input signal directly to the output by itself instead of the mix. But, since you're routing the 2T signal into the mix already, you might not have to do anything with this button. It could be causing the issue if you're not putting the 2T input into the mix with the white knob labeled "2TK to Mix".
The speaker cables should be plugged into the 1/4" jacks at the top labelled "MIX OUT" (2nd from right).
Speakers powered on.
Push up the white faders labelled "L MIX R" at the bottom right and see if you get sound from the speakers.
I believe that setup should get the sound from the computer to the mixer, into the main mix, and to the speakers.
From he to whom much liquor is given...much singing is expected.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Really, you should be plugging in to the 1/4" plugs for line 4 /6, then adjusting your balance accordingly. The RCAs are for tape recording, not really for sound input. (although they may kind of work - no guarantees)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

is it working for you now?

capone949

Post by capone949 »

Yes I cannot use the RCA because,like the post said its for recording. Thanks.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

so it IS working for you? that's a YES, right?

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

I just took another look at that board, and you may be able to plug a stereo 1/4" plug into the line 3/4 jack and then you won't have to also tie up line 5/6. It's pretty uncommon to use stereo 1/4" plugs on mixers (or anywhere else, except headphones) so I didn't think about it before. The "stereo" channels on my mixer all accept two mono 1/4", not a stereo 1/4".

Remember to buy quality cables too - junk from Radio Shack can get you through in a pinch, but shouldn't be used often, if avoidable. Same goes for stringing together different adapters to get from something to something else. Chances are, the cable you are looking for is made, with high quality connectors.

>>Sedge

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)