MacBook Pro

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Karanight

MacBook Pro

Post by Karanight »

Am I just unlucky or what
I bought my MacBook Pro 18 months ago and after a few months the optical drive packed in. Then when it was 16 months old the graphics card packed and I had to have the motherboard replaced (Apple did both jobs) Then last night the sound packed in, also when I want to write this email I noticed the spellchecker didn’t work. On top of this one of my USB’s don’t work and the battery gives up the ghost when I use it for more than 15 minutes.

This is the Edited bit
After I wrote this I went back on My laptop and the spell checker started working.
I went to the Apple store and spoke to a genius who said that there was a light coming from the audio out which indicates that I didn't remove the audio plug before I
switched off the laptop. I told them that I've never been particular about whether I remove it before or after I switch off. I was told in future I must remove the audio plug 1st.
As for the battery and USB they want to check it out but I wasn't prepared to leave the lappy at the mo.
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

jfbiii

Re: MacBook Pro

Post by jfbiii »

I've had the audio issue before. The MBPs use the same output for 1/8" jacks and optical output. Sometimes it gets stuck. I don't believe for a second that unplugging the jack when the computer is off has anything to do with it, and I'd look pretty skeptically at an Apple employee that tried to feed me that line. Kinda sucks that you're having the other problems.
From he to whom much liquor is given...much singing is expected.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I too am skeptical about there being any relation between powering off and unplugging the audio jack. One should not depend on the other happening first.

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

I've had the same advice from another forum so I'll ignore the bit about the audio jack and if I have the problem again I plug in and out till it works (hopefully)

Web site at

studio54

Post by studio54 »

the mac book pro series was a total lemon series. genius bars are filled with users with faulty mac book pros...in feb 2009 mac reissued the series, AND under pressure and with some detective work, you will find that the MBP you have and i have
were totally flawed machines. i have finally convince mac to give me a new machine.
there is a major lawsuit with the nvidia chips installed in some macs, they are faulty, and mac finally had to admit that this chip was in some machines- mainly the series we have. do some research google the mac nvidia controversy. the genius bar guys cannot admit that these are bad machines, but in my long history of spending time there, i would meet at least 3 MBP users who all had machines purchased from june 2007 onwards, that had long stories of trouble, like you have, so what are the odds on that? good luck.

meantime, i am about to explore the kjams world so hope it works, unfortunately i have notice that flawed mac i am about to trade in has the drive that is supposed to read CDG! i wonder if the new mac will have this. :?:

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

mac i am about to trade in has the drive that is supposed to read CDG! i wonder if the new mac will have this
if your new mac is laptop: probably not
if it is desktop / imac: probably yes

:D

ps: let's all try to stay on the topic of kJams

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

I appreciate you saying "let's all try to stay on the topic of kJams" but the reason I'm using kjams is because I use a macbook pro and if I have an issue with it, using this forum to help resolve it is the best way forward because if I use another forum, they never understand the specifics of being a KJ and using kjams.

This is the only good karaoke program that any competent KJ can use if one is using apple, so other users understand the specifics of the two combined. I've used other forums for issues regarding the macbook pro but issues like the audio out are not understood because very few users use it to the extent a KJ would. The same goes for issues such as CDG reading and splitting the signals for audio/video. If there was a problem with the macbook pro regarding these issues, this is the best place to get help and feedback.
Studio 54 talks about the macbook pro series being a total lemon series. If part of the lemon bit applies specifically or indirectly to running a KJ show then where else can we exchange views.
No one ever understands the issues like other users on this forum do. for instance, if the problems with the nvidia chip that studio 54 talks about can be aired on this forum, solutions might be found to help the KJ, and if that means we need to go to apple to get it sorted and maybe demand a replacement that is a solution for the KJ using kjams

On the heading for this subject it say's "Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums! Well I think that this lot doesn't fit well on other forums.

I hope this message doesn't come across as naggy but I don't have another forum that can help like this one.

Len

Web site at

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

umm, sure. I was just trying to differentiate between a rant and actual helpful background information necessary to solve a problem.

no worries. 8)

-dave

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

I went to Apple today with my MacBook Pro and told them my problematic history with it and I asked them if they were proud to have sold me the machine. They said they were not proud of it and they checked it out and told me as I've had three problems (I've had six all told) they will change it, and they did. I'm now the proud owner of a new machine.
Dave I need to register kJams on this new Laptop, can you help
Thanks
Len

Web site at

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

all set!
-dave

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

Thanks,
When I tried to open kjams it crashed before it opened, so I moved the library to another folder and then opened kjams, put the purchase code in closed kjams re-instated the library and then kjams opened. The reason this happened is, I think,is because I still had playlist in use that had lots of songs in them and in the tryout version more than three are not allowed.
Thought this might help someone in the future

Len

Web site at

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

huh. strange. but thanks :)
:shock:

studio54

Post by studio54 »

writing to you on a new mac book pro, mac replaced the flawed 2007-2008 silver one with a new lovely new issue. now on to kjams hopefully.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Well, after my trusty G4 Powerbook finally bit it (as I was setting up for a show), I went today and bought a new 13" MacBook Pro - then went and bought a 500 Gig hard drive and 4 gigs of memory. However, I noticed that now (as of the unibody design being reassigned to the "Pro" line) that we have firewire back! YAY! So, now the only big negative is trying to get RCA video out of it, but a $40 box at Frys (kWorld PCtoTV) is hopefully taking care of it, together with the miniDisplayPort to VGA adapter. Total out-of-pocket for this major upgrade: ~ $1500. I'm ready for kJams to finally fly - I sure hope the expense (or investment) is worth it.

>>Sedge
(Dave - you will likely see an email from me re: licensing tomorrow, after the data transfer is done.)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)