Drive Noise

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
BobFox

Drive Noise

Post by BobFox »

Ran out of room for song storage on my MacPro and backed my song files up to a Maxtor 160 gb drive. This way I would have plenty of room to add more songs in the future.

Big problem: the Maxtor drive created noise through the PA amp. The same thing happened on 2 different amp heads.

Has anyone else experience this problem? Is there a solution?

I do not get the noise if I send the same set up through a 240 watt Kenwood home stereo amplifier.

Einsteindork

Re: Drive Noise

Post by Einsteindork »

Had the same problem with my drives. Solved it by attaching a 2 prong adapter to the drive plug. Seems on some
systems the ground in the 3 prong plug creates a loop of noise when going back to the computer.

DJ-MARKG

Post by DJ-MARKG »

You can get an isolator for the audio leads that will remove this kind of noise. It goes into the audio leads to the amp / mixer some amplifiers have a "Lift" facility that will eliminate this sort of noise. I get a very love level noise with one amplifer but at 50% gain (150 Watts RMS) or so it goes, it is a grounding issue. Also ensure that you Mixer is grounded as well properly (some do not) If you do a search in google for Mains Hum Eliminator you should get plenty of hits.

Regards
Mark

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)