Song book Generator

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Sedge

Re: Song book Generator

Post by Sedge »

On the concept of books -
I've puzzled over this recently. I wanted to deprecate the use of books at my shows. Sure, it's a lot of time and trouble to create and maintain song books, and it's much easier to hook up some lappys or wireless devices to use instead. Yes, your patrons may be wowed by the availability of the server interface, *but* some will always be tech-clueless, and unable to handle the change without a lot of fear and resentment.

Also, if I step into a new club, and hear some karaoke going on, my *first* instinct is to grab the book and start browsing, (then begin to smirk at the poor KJ's lack of obscure titles I like to perform, then browse some more for obscure titles he has that I wouldn't mind trying out once or twice) - by going to a book-less environment, I would be robbed of a good part of this pleasure - sure, I could search for my obscure tracks, taking valuable computer time from the next poor regular that actually knows what he wants to sing, but then the browsing portion is mostly trashed.

I really like the idea of keeping a book that *doesn't* list everything - perhaps the top 2-3000 tracks, or perhaps by genre - printing a set of mostly country books if you're performing in a country/western bar, etc. - and leaving the rest to computer searches. That way the patron gets a good idea of what you have, is able to be impressed a bit, and can browse among popular titles, at least, for what he/she may want to sing. The obscurist, like me, can then go to the next step, either ask the KJ or be warned, and find there is a whole lot more available by doing a computer/iPhone search, and be content either way. This will likely be my compromise, as soon as I can wrangle my library down to a reasonable size without lots of duplicates and such.

I think the printed book should contain no duplicates, and only the popular tracks - stuff that actually had Billboard status in the last 20 years, or is in rotation on local radio stations, perhaps - and a few with kitsch value, like The Anniversary Song, regardless of how horrible it is? - This way you have smaller, more manageable books, no concern about updating them, and everyone's happy, hopefully.

So, what do I need kJams to do? create a songbook from a playlist (not just the Library). Simple, hopefully. Until then, I will be doing the create playlist/copy/paste/create .csv/import into my M$ songbook program/fix formatting/print to PDF/take to my local print shop routine. :!:

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Eeek!

Yes, kJams will allow you to pick a playlist to print a catalog from :D

SWLinPHX

Post by SWLinPHX »

Yes, there will always be a need for physical books, especially for situations with crowds less technologically inclined or lacking handheld devices. But I stopped printing long ago... of course I was using one-sided fluorescent color coded paper as well as the costs of printing, heavy duty binder, page protectors, etc.

Like Sedge said above, I can still keep my books as a strong core of songs for others to look at, but I don't have to carry as many and will not be updating them in print (a big headache, especially when you need to integrate the new additions into the rest of the book instead of as an addendum up front). I don't agree with what he said about the "last 20 years" only. That means no songs from the 1960's, 70's or 80's??? That is more than half of what people usually sing! :roll:
MacBook Pro-15.4" [unibody] 2.53GHz-4GB: Mac OS X 10.5.7
also:
iMac G5-20"/2 GHz-2 GB: Mac OS X 10.4.11
iBook G4-12"/1.33 GHz-1.5 GB: Mac OS X 10.4.11
PowerMac G4 w/21" CRT Studio Display/500 MHz-1 GB: Mac OS X 10.3.9

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

I don't agree with what he said about the "last 20 years" only. That means no songs from the 1960's, 70's or 80's???
Yeah, I didn't agree with that either. It was a bit tricky to put it into words - and this is why I added the bit about "in rotation on local radio stations" - as most locales will have an oldies, classic rock, and maybe even an AOR station, this covers a lot of the '60s, '70s, and '80s music that people will sing. It's a bit tricky, because its hard to rate music, and it changes from venue to venue. Billboard ratings are helpful, as are radio music rotations, if you can get them. However, YMMV (your mileage may vary), and experience will trump arbitrary ratings and such every time.

cfspinner

Post by cfspinner »

want it bad ;)
Creator of the iSing Karaoke Locator for the iphone
[url]itms://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=334150511&mt=8&s=143441[/url]
http://www.karaokeblogs.com

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

noted. it is one of the top 5 things i'm going to do when i'm done with my current "skunkworks" project.

RudyRocks

Post by RudyRocks »

An unorthodox solution... and full of steps... but one that works nonetheless:

okay... you've got all your songs happily organized within kJams
Do a sort by... whatever.. having only the columns you wish to print active
select all (command A) and copy (command C like the good man tells ya)
Now... open iWork Numbers and paste
Get it how you want it, justified line separators (be sure to select portrait) etc.
Change the paper size to something like... 4 x 10 panoramic etc. (may require tweaking to get it to fit)
once it looks like many (382 in my case) pages and ready to go... use the export to iPhoto feature
Now, open iphoto... you see all the individual columns you created as separate image files.
Use iPhoto to export the lot to a folder on the desktop using the Append Sequential numbering option for naming.
NOW, here's the cool bits.... open the lot with Preview, select all and rotate them to the right 90 degrees
Open print cue, select landscape and 2 images per page, scale to fit and then use the save as .PDF feature
to create a nice tight two column combined .pdf file. Fire up double sided print and rock on.

you should be able to take it from there.
they aren't pretty... but they'll do and they are FREE

(except it's 1:14am and I've been trying to sort this out for about 4 hours now.

CHEERS

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

O M G :shock:

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

Holy Hell!! I just simply select the columns I want to have viewed, then...wait for it.....select all and copy.

Open Numbers, paste.....and walla! Now I just tweak the columns in numbers to fit and bingo...song book ready to print!

I even added my business name at the top with phone number so they see it with every page turned. Nice advertisement.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, that's more or less what the directions say.
8)

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

Touche :P

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8) :shock:

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I may have been the first person to go bookless (well, unless you count iBooks) and I have not looked back. I get maybe one person every two months who is flummoxed by the server. They are usually talked through it by another patron.

But you are all making this way too confusing. If you are using server, just save the songbook as .pdf (by printing in any app that opens it, and clicking, wait for it… "Save as PDF") and then open the PDF in a tab in any WebKit based browser (Safari. Chrome, Konquerer, etc.). Done.

If you want to be all fancy, like me, wow the crowd while at the same time REALLY catering to the Luddites, you can even make the pdf into an animated flipbook, using any of a number of programs available online.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)