Key Change

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Herb Girl

Key Change

Post by Herb Girl »

Ok, I am thinking of using the program again - I stopped on account of I was a newbie to mac and i have dual os, but the vista thing is reminding me why I went to mac in the first place!! Anyway, my question is, what if someone says they want to sing in the key of g or f or whatever - Is there anyway in KJams you can do that? I am not a music professor or even a singer, I can sing on key, but can't distinguish what key a person is in, I know you can go high or low, but is there anyway i can do that in the program??

thanks!
It ain't a contest, so get yer yella teeth and bad liver down here and sing!

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

you're asking for AI, which kJams does not have.
at this point only a human can determine what key a song is in, unless you have sound choice songs in which case they usually TELL you what key they're in.
there's no way for kJams to "know" what key a song is in, so there's no way to have kJams automatically adjust a song into a particualr key, sorry.

the singer just has to start singing the song and then tell you "go up" or "go down" and you can adjust the relative pitch.

jmaler

just wondering....regarding "key of" question.

Post by jmaler »

I'm in a little band, and when we tune up our real instruments, we reference the "A" key at 440 hertz. We all tune our instruments to that baseline so we're all in the same tuning.

Most songs start with the first notes behind the lead vocals in the song "key".

I wonder if Kjams could sample the first opening notes, compare it against that 440 Hz baseline, and take a "guess" at the key? Pitch changes would then be relative against that "guesstimated" key.

Just a thought... but I realize this is a tough one to handle.

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

That may guess correct 20% of the time. That's not good enough for production. The best thing to do is to have the Key correctly entered into the MetaData in the first place. Which takes a human being, sadly.

-dave