Screen GOES BLANK when KJams starts

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Marshall

Screen GOES BLANK when KJams starts

Post by Marshall »

Hi Dave,

I'd like to try using your software but had a mild stroke a while ago and my learning isn't what it used to be. Soooo, here goes:)

I've imported songs into ITunes and then, from there, into KJams. Everything was working o.k. until I must have hit the "wrong" key on my laptop. Now, while I see the KJams application start up, the entire screen on the laptop GOES BLANK! What the......? Any help would be appreciated.

Marshall

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Marshall:

First, why exactly are you importing songs into iTunes? Why not just import them directly into kJams?
As to why your screen goes blank, I would suspect that you have the video window set to full screen. After you start up, just hit CMD-1 to take the video screen to small size.

Marshall

screen goes blank.....continued

Post by Marshall »

thanks for the assistance deux but.....

1. what do you mean by saying to hit "CMD1"? And, since the screen actually is blank, there's nothing to "hit" since there's nothing on the screen.

2. can you really import directly into KJams? where does that file go....into the ITunes library and into ITunes itself?

thanks a lot again for your help,

marshall

Sedge

RTFM

Post by Sedge »

1. "hit CMD-1" means press the command key (with the apple logo/square loopy-cornered box thing on it) and the number 1 key (with the 1 and exclamation point on it) together. This takes the video window out of fullscreen, so you can see the other windows. The reason your screen is "blank" is that it's showing a fullscreen video of nothing. And if you have run out of things to hit when your screen goes blank, I recommend finding/looking for/purchasing/stealing a keyboard. They're fairly cheap and take a lot of abuse. (screens, no so much!)

2. importing into kJams. Yes, oh glorious day, yes. KJams is KJams, and iTunes is ITunes, and as of yet, they do not lie down together. The file, if being imported from a CDG, goes into the KJams Music folder, which thou shalt not touch, except in KJams. The file, if being added to the library from another computer file, take for instance from iTunes, stays right where it already was (and shan't be moved, lest ye might lose it)

My apologies, I'm in a bit of a snarky mood today.

ChurchCat

Re: RTFM

Post by ChurchCat »

Sedge wrote: snarky

:lol:

You gotta love the word "snarky"

Is is your own or is it another Americanism that I have not met before?

:)
Every forum needs it's own cat.

ChurchCat

Re: Screen GOES BLANK when KJams starts

Post by ChurchCat »

Marshall wrote: I've imported songs into ITunes and then, from there, into KJams.

Marshall
Hi Marshal

May I just ask where the songs came from originally? Have you got them on CD? Are they proper Karaoke discs that give you the words on the TV screen or just plain CDs with musical backings on them?

CC
Every forum needs it's own cat.

Marshall

continued help please

Post by Marshall »

thanks to the one who helped me get the lyrics on the screen! To answer ChurchCat's question, I AM using regular discs. Now I guess there's some other questions. I really, really appreciate all the help I'm getting since I don't seem to understand like I used to.

Just to let everyone know. I'm using a laptop that doesn't have a compatible drive to "burn" discs but I don't think I'll need to do that. I used to do karaoke parties using a regular cdg player but don't have that player now. I want to put mY cdg's on a hard drive and play songs (on my laptop) showing the lyrics on the screen. DO I NEED A CDG COMPATIBLE PLAYER/BURNER TO PLAY OR IMPORT THESE TUNES? I think, for now, just answering that question would be a big help! I have a feeling that this is not rocket science but but hopefully you understand. Actually, if someone gave me a call that'd be even better:)

Marshall
818-400-1233

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Marshall:
Unless you have a MocBookPro, odds are high that you can not read CD+G disks. If you bought a CD+G compatible external,that would work, but you might also consider finding a friend with a MBP or going to an Apple store to see if they'll consider letting you start up the MBP in Target disk mode, and then using its drive to transfer songs to kJams. Don't worry if this makes sense to you. If you have an Apple Store near you, they'll understand what I mean. Whether they'll let you do it is another story.

Or just get a compatible drive

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I recommend just buying a LightScribe drive they're cheap.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

dave,

So all/any LightScribe drives read CD+G disks?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I heard a report that the "NEC DVD±RW ND-3500AG" does not work from one source, but have not double-confirmed that. Otherwise AFAIK all LightScribes work.

http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Compatible_Drives