Why are some songs stored in Unknown Artist/Unknown Album

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

Why are some songs stored in Unknown Artist/Unknown Album

Post by HowardBrazee »

I have a lot of songs in my Karaoke folder stored in /Users/howardjbrazee/Music/kJams/kJams Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album

What are the characteristics of the song that made kJams decide to store them there instead of in more structured places that most of my songs are stored?

Is it possible to modify the song before it's loaded into kJams so that kJams knows where it should be loaded?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Why are some songs stored in Unknown Artist/Unknown Album

Post by dave »

kJams does not keep the "kJams Music" folder organized. that is, it does not move song files into folders that match their artist / album names.
So, when you do "add to library" and pick "copy" (not "reference"), kJams will copy the song files into "Unknown Artist / Unknown Album" and leave them there.
if you really want to have stuff organized, consolidate your library, after you have gotten perfect metadata and removed duplicates.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I always pick copy. But some songs are in organized locations and others are in "Unknown Artist / Unknown Album". How did those songs get into organized locations? Is there some attribute to the file name that told kJams where to put them in the first place?

I'd like to consolidate, but not badly enough to lose my venue, singer, & playlists.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the songs that are properly organized came from music stores or if you ripped songs from disc.