Apple's new chip

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

Apple's new chip

Post by HowardBrazee »

I've read that the new Macs with the ARM chip that will be shipping later this year won't be able to run any operating system older than Big Sur. So I won't be able to boot to my Mojave SSD to run kJams when I replace this computer. Hopefully, 64-bit kJams will be ready before that happens.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Apple's new chip

Post by dave »

it is my hope too that 64bit kJams will be ready by then.

64bit kJams will run fine on Big Sur

-dave

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I have been waiting for the 64-bit kJams to replace my late 2013 27" iMac. Now that the M1 chip is out, my choices are to buy the ugly 24" iMac or the Mac Mini. Looks don't matter, costs do. And the version of the iMac that I would buy would cost $1699.00 with a 4.5k display, improved camera, improved audio, a mouse a keyboard with touch-id. Buying an equivalent mini, with a 5k monitor and other accessories cost around $25,000. Neither machine has adequate USB hubs (so I'll have to buy one). And Apple doesn't sell its touch-id keyboard, even though it would work with the mini.

So it looks like the 24" iMac for me.

Assuming that Apple doesn't announce a M1 replacement for the 27" iMac before 64-bit kJams is released. But Apple doesn't tell. If it does, then I'll have to figure out what I can afford.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i AM sorry this is taking so long. it's just an insane amount of work to do and i already have a full time job.
kJams doesn't pay the rent, it's a labor of love.

-dave

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

And well-appreciated.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:D

8)

reddroki

Post by reddroki »

Dave, all your efforts are appreciated! Many thanks for those labours of love...
---
Host: Would you like to sing a song?
Customer: Oi! There's not enough liquor in this pub for that!
Host: Hmm. You or Us?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:D