Running kJams with dual boot

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

Running kJams with dual boot

Post by HowardBrazee »

I want to run kJams in a Mojave partition with the data in my main partition which I intend to upgrade to Catalina (and eventually run from there). Except for having a different server address (how do I change that?), everything appears to be working.

Here’s what I did:

Step 1: Get an “Install macOS Mojave.app” file. Copy it to a memory card or something as installation process deletes it. (When I install Catalina, I will copy its installation file from \Applications before running it).

Step 2: Make sure you are running kJams 2.1b15 or newer. If you have 2 copies, de-register one and save your .plist that has your registration number.

Step 3: Run Disk Utility. Click Partition, then Add Volume. I didn’t know reserve size or quota size so I looked at https://blog.macsales.com/44596-partiti ... k-utility/ and set 5 reserve, 40 quota, and added volume “Mojave”. Those numbers were a WAG, I have no idea.

Step 4: I thought I would need to partition and wasted a lot of time before I just clicked on my installation app. I then installed Mojave, making sure to pick the new drive.

Step 5: When you have Mojave installed, play around with it, get comfortable with rebooting, make sure Time Machine is working, etc. It can be a pain installing updates making sure you always reboot into the right partition. Find both systems in finder.

Step 6: Copy kJams to your application folder.

Step 7: I created an alias to my Main computer’s
/Users/HBrazee/Music/kJams folder and put it in
/Volumes/Mojave/Users/howardbrazee/Music/kJams
Do the same thing with your names.

Step 7: Run kJams. Set up all of your preferences.

Step 8: Test One issue I had was that in kJams preferences I didn’t have “Built-in Output”, and it played through the TV set.
Another issue I had was that a playlist had different headings than it had in the main boot drive. Odd. When I right-clicked the heading, nothing happened. I had to change the Mojave mouse settings to turn on right-clicking!

I’ve only tested with one TV set. Karaoke night is Friday, and I’ll hopefully run the whole session from the new Mojave drive. If that works, I’ll probably install Catalina on that drive next weekend.

HowardBrazee

Re: Running kJams with dual boot

Post by HowardBrazee »

The URLs match now, I didn't do anything except wait.

I wish I knew where the kJams configuration file was and either copied it, or better yet, created an alias to it.

There's a setting I can't find: In my new kJams setup when I play a song, the cursor doesn't drop down to the next song. I compared all of the preference settings and am not finding this difference. It has to be there somewhere.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

you can get to kJams preferences by going help->reveal preferences. take that entire folder, or make an alias.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

From within kJams on my “regular” iMac, I selected Help/Reveal Preferences and found
/Users/HBrazee/Music/kJams/kJams Preferences.

Mojave/Users/howardbrazee/Library/preferences
Odd, from my Mojave boot drive, I couldn’t rename nor delete this folder (did make a copy). From my “regular” partition I can’t find “Library”. I thought all of my hidden files are visible. I wonder why my "regular" preferences are in a more accessible location.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

In case anybody's wondering about my partition sizing, DiskUtility shows me using 33.07 GB (5 GB reserve), with 6.93 GB free.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I now am successfully running kJams in its own Mojave partition with its data on my main Catalina partition.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

great!