Getting ready for 64-bit kJams on OSX

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

Getting ready for 64-bit kJams on OSX

Post by HowardBrazee »

If the 64-bit kJams isn't ready when OSX 15 is ready, I will try not to upgrade my Mac (I hope it doesn't upgrade automatically). My back-up kJams is on my wife's Mac. We have never used that except to test.

Question:
If her Mac upgrades to OSX 15, and then the 64 bit kJams is subsequently released, when I click on kJams on her machine, will it run enough to do the kJams update? (Or if I forget to update kJams on her computer before the OSX upgrade?)

Thanks

dave
Site Admin

Re: Getting ready for 64-bit kJams on OSX

Post by dave »

If [one] upgrades to macOS 10.15 (before updating kJams to 64bit), and then the 64 bit kJams is subsequently released, when I click on kJams on her machine, will it run enough to do the kJams update.
No, it's impossible to run 32bit apps on a pure 64bit system. If i could run it "enough" then it would run "fully". It's all or nothing.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

So we try to run it, and it fails, we go to your web site and download the new version and it will install as an upgrade?

(I'm hoping it is a moot point and that we'll have the upgrade before it is required)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it will install and run, as an update, not an upgrade. in this context, an update is free minor version change, while an upgrade is a paid change to get a totally new edition. i don't consider the 64 bit version a totally new edition, because if someone made me pay to just be able to keep using my existing kJams that i already bought, i'd be pissed. :)