Changing volume for a song

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

Changing volume for a song

Post by HowardBrazee »

I have a song that needs to have its background music increased every time I play it. I see there's a heading setting that can be set (I have a tough time changing heading settings, but eventually get the field selected). What are valid settings? What is the default?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Changing volume for a song

Post by dave »

the "Sort Column Header" you want is "Volume", and to SET the volume, set it correctly using the volume control then go Controls->Remember Song Volume

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

OK, I moved the volume up on a song. It seems that I can only get one increased volume setting, and that setting is 1.00. I tried to see if I could edit that field by selecting it, but failed to grab it. (I suppose I could edit the .xml file)

<key>volm</key>
<real>1</real>

Is this what I should be getting?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sorry i didn't understand, but the answer is no, you can't make a song LOUDER than the maximum volume.
you will only cause distortion if you attempt to do that.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

So, maximum volume = 1. Testing, I found a song and it appears that the default volume is .9, and incrementing once will take it to .95, so volumes are already near the top.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

where did you see this volume number?
what do you mean by "incrementing it once" ?

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I created a heading named "volume". Then I played a song, and selected "Remember Song Volume". Odd, this song saved ".89". Yesterday's song saved ".90". Clicking "volume up" seems to always raise the volume up by ".05", with a maximum of 1.00.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

"Remember Song Volume" will take the current volume from the volume slider knob. If you set it all the way to the right, full volume, it will be remebered at "1.0".

if i understand correctly, this has nothing to do with what you need: what you need is to punch the volume HIGHER than the max. for that you need a hardware mixer and adjust the volume manually.

alternately, bring the audio into an audio editing app, like Adobe Audition, and literally amp the song a big, making sure not to cause any samples to go over-range, perhaps using a compressor effect.