"Key" meta data: where does that come from?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

"Key" meta data: where does that come from?

Post by HowardBrazee »

I noticed that my library has one song that has "C" in the key field. All of the songs have blank in the "key changes" field. Are these just informative? I have a terrible time changing any field that I have to change by selecting it. I try clicking and hitting enter and clicking slowly and clicking fast and after a lot of attempts, the field is editable. If these are just informative, I will not look at them.

dave
Site Admin

Re: "Key" meta data: where does that come from?

Post by dave »

The data in the "Key" and "Key Changes" fields must be hand-entered, and they are not merely "informative", since you can edit (change) them.

To edit meta data like that, you must have this preference set:
kJams->Preferences->Tags->Allow tag editing in Browser
The selection in the "Key Adjust" field must be set by the user, this is what's done to adjust the pitch during playback.
I have a terrible time changing any field that I have to change by selecting it.
you have to move the mouse over the dash ("-"), then hold still, and click once, then KEEP holding still for a second. in other words, don't move the mouse from the time before you click until after you get into "edit mode" (where you can now type into the text edit area for that meta datum). Hitting enter is NOT how it's done when there are half a dozen possible targets.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

By "informative", I meant, they don't actually *do* anything. (is that right?) I can put in a key by hand so that I can quickly see what the key is.

However I am not guessing what the "key changes" field does. "Key adjust" is easy to change though, I don't have to try to get into "edit mode".

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

correct, they don't DO anything. the only one that does something is "Key Adjust".

"key changes" indicates any key changes within the song. sometimes a song changes key mid-stream

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

They could be useful information - except the singers won't see it. (Neither will I unless I find other columns to delete to make room for them) - not to mention my difficulty in writing the information in.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the singers don't see it, that's right. it's useful for Producers however, when they create karaoke, the "up-card" shown at the start of the song can show the key and key changes, on the screen, and the singer will see that. there's a feature slated to just add that to the start of every song automatically.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

That will be nice, for the people who know all of the stuff that Producer does that isn't in the tutorials.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

dave wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:05 am
That will be nice, for the people who know all of the stuff that Producer does that isn't in the tutorials.
That would probably be me, since many of those weird, hidden mystery fields were added for my project with a certain evil karaoke company, based in the U.K., for whom I made thousands of professional HD tracks, and got stiffed!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:o