Strange Problem

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Lorance66

Strange Problem

Post by Lorance66 »

So, I never had this problem initially. I bought the software about a month ago and used it several times with no issue.

What happens now, is when using Python for iTunes auto cross fade, sometimes the software drops the iTunes volume to zero and I can’t raise it , kinda the opposing what if expect.

So normally I start iTunes, set my filler music volume and start my playlist...then I start kjams. I set the volume I want for my show and then start python. Typically, after a couple of seconds I hear it mute slightly then come back up. Then my iTunes volume is where I set it and all is good and kjams volume is zero. Then I start a karaoke song and the iTunes comes down as the karaoke comes up

Now all of a sudden the iTunes mutes to zero and my filler music can’t be played when I run the script.

I have been using Mac software but today I installed on my windows machine and get the same result. Am I doing something wrong?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Strange Problem

Post by dave »

did you initially set the volume in iTunes to 75% ? also in kJams?

i'm looking at the instructions here:
https://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Python/Crossfade

it doesn't say to start the playlist in iTunes, have you tried NOT doing that?

it is possible that iTunes has changed its scripting implementation, i'll have to check on it. is anyone else having this issue?

Lorance66

Post by Lorance66 »

I may have misunderstood the instructions. Not sure if the volume level matters or whether I start the playlist but I’ll test that out when I get home today.

However, it would be odd that it would work some of the time and not at other times.

I’ll post results later and thank you, Dave.

Lorance66

Post by Lorance66 »

Wow....ok, sure enough, after some experimentation it appears that the volume level you set is very significant. When I first started using this software a couple of months ago, I followed the instructions to the letter but since then I have been reducing my iTunes volume and just assumed that starting point would be as good as any, but no. You hit the nail on the head. If I set it to 75% or more, I can’t duplicate the problem but if I set it low, like to 30%, it malfunctions.

Also, I found that it didn’t seem to matter whether or not the playlist is playing.

Thank you so much for the tip! I am loving the software. After getting multiple krazy krashes with Karaoki, Kjams has been an answer to a prayer.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I modified the original iTunes Crossfader code in AppleScript many years back to crossfade between the currently set volumes for both kJams and iTunes. The Python code is basically based on the old AppleScript.
But it should be able to crossfade correctly regardless of how low you start the playback volume. It certainly used to.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:o