Using kJams 2

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

Using kJams 2

Post by HowardBrazee »

I just upgraded to kJams 2 to support Dave's continuing development of kJams. I don't think I will be using the burning, and I don't know if I will be using any kJams 2 features. I just play Karaoke a couple of times per month in our senior living, and practice in my room by myself as well. Any features I should look at? How do I do this?

Installing the upgrade, I saw that it created a second application. Now my applications folder on my iMac has both kJams Pro and kJams 2. However, launchpad only has Kjams Pro. I didn't see how to upgrade my emergency backup on my wife's iMac, so I copied the kJams 2 app from my computer to hers and added the serial number. Her iMac's launchpad also doesn't show kJams 2. I Googled this issue and deleted some files and did a bunch of things - but haven't been able to get either kJams 2 programs to show up on launchpad.

What do I need to do to fix that?

Is there any reason I should keep both versions of kJams?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Using kJams 2

Post by dave »

the features of "kJams 2" are outlined here.

You're right, the upgrade process doesn't trash the previous edition of kJams. Just trash "kJams Pro" and empty the trash, that's all it takes. That should make it disappear from Launch Pad. Do the same thing on the 2nd computer (trash "kJams Pro").

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I looked there earlier, and a couple of features might be nice - but I'm not sure, but it appears that they are part of manual rotation which also has a downside (new singer songs are added to the end of the playlist in whatever order they happen come in (not automatic interleave), meaning you MUST *manually* maintain the proper order of singers
no Switchable Songs).

I deleted kJams Pro and trashed it. I still don't see kJams 2 in the launch pad. What causes that?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Yes, Manual rotation does mean must manually manage it.

I do not use the launch pad so I am not familiar with it. Is the “kJams 2” application inside the “applications” folder? Maybe do a Google search.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

Yes, kJams 2 is in my application folder.

I had tried a few suggestions I found Googled. What finally worked was to drag launchpad.app to my dock, then drag kJams 2 to the launchpad icon. (I then removed it from my doc).

I have launchpad set up so that when my cursor goes to the top-right corner of my screen, it opens. I think one of the keys does it to... Ahh, F4 opens it!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock:

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

That procedure didn't work on my wife's computer. But since I don't run it there, I'm not worried. I wonder what kind of bug keeps programs from showing up on the launch pad.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

Experimenting, I discovered some stuff.

If I want both kJams Pro and kJams 2 in my applications folder, and still want kJams 2 to show up on the launch pad, the following works:

I deleted kJams Pro.app, emptied the trash, and rebooted.
I put the Launchpad icon in my dock (It defaults that way, but I didn't have it there).
I dragged the kJams 2.app to the Launchpad icon.
I tested to make sure the Launchpad showed kJams 2.
I used Time Machine to recover kJams Pro to my applications folder.

This worked in both my computer, and my wife's (backup kJams) computer.

I may never use kJams Pro again, but it makes me comfortable keeping it at least until the future of kJams with the next MacOS is secure.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

you don't ever want two editions of kJams at the same time. decide which one you're using and get rid of the other. they're both fine on mac for now.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

OK.

I played with Manual Rotation. The first thing I noticed is that queued up songs from when Manual Rotation was off, are no longer queued up. That's too bad for me.

Then I noticed that the list of people who are marked "Here" is different. I had to quit kJams and restart it because of this confusion.

I'd like an easier way to move people and songs around (Sometimes I mark someone "not here", then "here", to move him behind someone else). But I like the default interleaving defaulting.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

[when switching to Manual Rotation...] queued up songs from when Manual Rotation was off, are no longer queued up
that's correct since the two features are unrelated. you don't switch during a show, you decide what kind of show you're doing and start the show that way. the feature is not intended to work WITH regular rotation, it's a separate feature.
the list of people who are marked "Here" is different
that may have been a misunderstanding or perhaps just a mistake. switching rotation style does not affect the "here" markings in any way. if you could document that or show exactly how that happens or otherwise reproduce this problem, so i can see it, then i can help.
I'd like an easier way to move people and songs around
well, there's nothing easier than drag and drop, which is how it works. i'm not sure at all what could be easier. are you not using drag and drop? why not? note you must be sorted by "User Sort Order (#)" for that to work
Sometimes I mark someone "not here", then "here", to move him behind someone else
definitely use drag and drop instead. drag and drop is your friend! :)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

To solve your LaunchPad issues the "correct" way in future, do the following:
First, try just killing the Dock.
Run Terminal from the Utilities folder, then type:
killall Dock
and hit turn, The Dock will quit then restart itself. This also kills LaunchPad. Most of the time, this will cause LaunchPad to correctly update its database.

If this fails to work, in older version of MacOS, try removing the LaunchPad database like this:
Navigate in Finder to ~/Library/Application Support/Dock/. You can get their quickly by just hitting ⌘ ⇧ G in Finder then pasting ~/Library/Application Support/Dock/ into the entry field and hitting return.
Delete the folder with the extension ".db".
Open Terminal app like above and killall Dock.

If you want to do all that in one place, just open Terminal and enter the following:
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db ; killall Dock

In MacOS Yosemite and newer, you have to use the defaults command, like this:
In Terminal, enter:
defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true; killall Dock
and hit return.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock: