DJ Needs Advice!

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
mabbs

DJ Needs Advice!

Post by mabbs »

Hi,

I'm hoping you might be able to give me some advice. I'm a long-time event DJ and am looking to add Karaoke as an option as I often get asked for it, but have only recently considered adding as an option.

My plan was to use Serato and my Numark NS6ii controller. I purchased the full Sunfly back catalogue and all works fine but the graphics are terrible, very pixelated. Having since undertaken some further research, it appears I would need to convert the MP3+G files using Kjams to improve the quality. Or just use Kjams to run the Karaoke.

I guess what I need to know is which version of Kjams I should purchase, and how I go about converting the files to be suitable for Serato. Or alternatively, using Kjams in conjunction with my Mac, NS6 Controller and an external monitor. I'd prefer Serato just for the fact it would be an all in one solution. Is the upscaling of the text significant?

Many Thanks

Jamie Currie

perfectpartydjs.co.uk

dave
Site Admin

Re: DJ Needs Advice!

Post by dave »

I'm hoping you might be able to give me some advice.
i’ll do my best!
I'm a long-time event DJ and am looking to add Karaoke as an option
YAY!
I often get asked for it but have only recently considered adding it as an option.
very awesome
the graphics are terrible, very pixelated
all karaoke created in the past uses this same format
it was done that way because it can stream off of a regular CD (no DVD needed)
Having since done some further research, it appears I would need to convert the MP3+G files using kJams
the MP3+G file is 288x192 pixels, there’s nothing you can do to create more pixels. when you scale it up, it just gets more pixelly or a little blurry. kJams can interpolate a little better than most however, take a look at this link.

see the one on the far right, that’s the best you can get with intelligent upscale
I guess what I need to know is which version of kJams I need to purchase
Pro or 2, since they have the export options you’d want (Lite can’t export using all available options)
and how I go about converting the files to be suitable for Serato
in preferences->general, turn on “high quality CDG Video upscaling”

in prefs->export, set things this way:
Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 10.18.26 AM.png
note the export name template, the names will be “artist-song name-album name”
rearrange the letters or remove what you don’t need, to get the naming convention you prefer

then export your files, see this link for instructions.
Or alternatively, using kJams in conjunction with my Mac, NS6 Controller and an external monitor.
that would work too, for realtime playback without needing to do all the exporting.

note you need a blazing fast computer because currently the upscale happens on the CPU, not the GPU
you can try it (free, no time limit) to see if your computer is happy, taking note of the CPU usage in the activity monitor

note i’m always here to help!

-dave

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

If you really purchased the full catalogue, I might be able to help you. PM me.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)