rebuild from scratch?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
thomas

rebuild from scratch?

Post by thomas »

I've screwed up my library and have what I need to re-load it from discs. To delete my whole library is it just click on the edit tab, select all and then "Trash Original files"?

HowardBrazee

Re: Remove duplicate songs from library only

Post by HowardBrazee »

I know this is too late - but - *always* have backups. And then make an extra backup before doing something like this.

I bought a big memory card that has a copy of my kJams folder. I use it to copy my kJams library to my wife's computer where I have my backup kJams. (I haven't used her kJams beyond testing - but it is available if needed).

thomas

Re: Remove duplicate songs from library only

Post by thomas »

You are right but too late for me. Once I get rebuilt I will either back up to a thumb drive or something else. However, not sure how it works but Dave has this set up so everything added to the Kjams library gets copied somewhere and there is a very handy procedure for rebuilding your library in the event of a laptop crash or some other problem. I'm beyond that possibility for reasons that make for long story. However, since I have CD+G discs of almost everything I had on library, I'm simply going to delete my mixed up muddled up library and reload the discs to kjams library.

dave
Site Admin

Re: rebuild from scratch?

Post by dave »

here is how to rebuild from scratch

but that specifically just re-catalogs your existing music, so you won't have to re-rip songs that have been already ripped. it ensures you have no MISSING songs.

if you really want to rebuild from absolute scratch with no songs, then go in to the kJams folder (located at /Users/<you>/Music/kJams) and inside that you'll see "kJams Library", throw out "kJams Library". then go INSIDE the folder called "kJams Music", select everything in there, and trash that (then empty the trash).

the thing to ensure you do NOT throw out is the "kJams CDs" folder, which contains the metadata for all the CDs you previously ripped. be VERY sure you have correctly set the meta data for your discs before you rip, for good reason.