Error changing name

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

Error changing name

Post by HowardBrazee »

Whenever I add a new song, I edit it's information, usually changing the song name a bit.

Quite often I get a pop-up error message indicating that it failed. But it always works fine, so I ignore that error. Am I missing something? Is there something that will bite me later?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Error changing name

Post by dave »

assuming you are changing the name from within the kJams user interface: the error is real, it means kJams can't update the name on disk, which means your work isn't being saved back to the original files. it means you'll lose your work if you rebuild your library.

generally it's because you have your files on a read-only disk (ie: your computer can't WRITE to that disk). this is something you really should fix, because if you ever rebuild your library, then ALL your renaming work will be lost.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

All of my songs are purchased on-line, downloaded into my downloads folder. I then drag them to kJams. If I have both mp3 & mp4 versions of the songs, half get copied into kJams, and I have to copy the other half. So far so good, they get copied into kJams on my Macintosh HD. When I rename them using "Get Info", sometimes I get that error. I haven't kept track which songs give that error.

I just now went in and made slight renames of a bunch of my most recent songs, and didn't get any errors.

How do I fix this problem? (How do I rebuild a library?)

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I was looking at some of the songs in the finder, trying to see what would be needed to re-load them.

I see some songs have .zip files, some .mpr, and I also see .xml . I infer that the .xml files may have kJams information, including what I modified. So maybe that's the information that would be lost if I copied those files, deleted them from kJams, and reloaded them. (At least for the songs that gave me that warning).

Is this correct?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Actually, depending on the actual error message, I suspect that the problem is that whatever you are naming it to does not conform to the Song Name Template you have set in Preferences>Tags> Conform Song Names:
For instance, if you have this set to "L-T - R - S" (aLbum-Track# - aRtist - Song name) and your new song only has a name and artist, editing one of those fields will result in a naming error (but still rename the track).

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

Quite likely, as I failed to understand what that template is or does (to the level of picking a different option). I have L-T-R-S, which I figure is the default. When I change the info, I never blank out a field. What I do is change the song name from "song by artist" to "song", and add "artist" to the artist field. If the album is empty I put where I got the song, and in the comments, I put down who paid for the song and sometimes other info.

I also fill in the duet field, if applicable.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

if you always fill out name, artist, and album, then "songs not renamed" means the file can't be written on disk. i do not know what an "mpr" file is, that's not karaoke or kJams related.

i don't know what youy mean when you say you have to copy the other half of the songs if you get both mp3 (audio only?) and mp4 (movie). yes, xml is meta data, and if that is being written then yes the data is being saved.

but we need to nail down exactly WHEN it's happening (ie: what file type, and where that file resides, and exactly what the error is). to do so, get the error the immediately go help->send log file, and send me that, then come back here and tell me you've done so.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

If you have L-T-R-S ("standard, to the extent there is one, would actually be "L-T - R - S", spaces included) and do not specify a track # you WILL get a renaming error.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

actually you won't, your track number will just be "00" :)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Yup, you're right (not surprisingly).
However, if you have a track in *Songs Not Renamed that has no Album data, and that for whatever reason IS renamable, double click to play it, and very quickly hit cmd I to bring up the edit dialogue BEFORE the track is automatically removed from the *Songs Not Renamed playlist, and then edit the album field (and possibly others) as soon as you hit return/"Okay", kJams crashes, at least some of the time.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

.mpr is a typo for .mp4. Looking at "get info", I see that I have a bunch of songs with "track 0" (in get info), or "-", when displaying the track. These are songs I bought and downloaded which haven't been burned to disks. I don't *think* they all gave that error when I copied them to kJams (then deleted the files from my Downloads folder).

Most of these songs are in /Music/kJams/Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album. If I copied the .mp4 & .zip files to my downloads file, deleted them from kJams, then loaded them again, copying them from downloads, would they load elsewhere?

It looks as though I need to change this from the default which I haven't touched:
Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 7.19.14 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 7.19.14 AM.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 8269 times

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I just got the error again with a couple of songs. Here are some screen shots:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 6.23.45 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 6.21.36 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 6.21.18 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 6.20.36 PM.jpg

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

do this:
  1. quit kjams
  2. run kjams
  3. do NOTHING except cause that error
  4. go help->send log file
  5. send that to me
  6. come back to this forum thread
  7. reply to it
  8. say "i sent the log file"
then i'll have a look

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

Hmm, I just bought a song and tried renaming it without it giving that error. This is a bad month for spending money, I'll try again next month.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

do you mean this:
I just bought a song, and it came in with its name info filled in in all fields, as expected. after all activity was completed, i then attempted to rename it. then there was more activity including "push meta data", and it was all successful (ie: no errors or warnings were shown)
? thanks