Singing to myself

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

Singing to myself

Post by HowardBrazee »

I don't have the money right now - but someday I'd like to be able to practice singing in my room and have the singing sounding like I was connected up to the Karaoke equipment. I see that there are some pretty cheap microphones that have reverb and plug into my Mac's USB port. But I have also read that I can't use kJams and a microphone and have the sounds come out together using my internal Mac's speakers. (I do have some nice external speakers - but they are in the other room using an AirPort to play from my Mac's iTunes (and kJams). I also have headphones.

Once per month I take my Mac downstairs for Karaoke night, where we have microphones hooked up to the Karaoke machine that my senior living apartments own.

Does anybody here have experience in setting up a cheap setup that is suitable for practice without setting up the whole Karaoke setup?

Thanks.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Singing to myself

Post by dave »

you CAN hook a mic directly to the mac, but you'll get "latency", ie: you'll hear your voice just slightly delayed which may drive you nuts (it drives me nuts making it impossible for me to sing or have fun). Some people actually don't mind it, it's just a very shallow echo. So you can try it. more info here.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

So you recommend getting the cheapest kind of mixer between my Mac and using external speakers?

I've Googled lots of recommendations to *reduce* latency. Lots of these are for people who want to *record* in apps like Garage Band. I don't need recordings beyond checking to see what I really sound like (my phone could record that).

I've seen some mixers real cheap mixers and microphones - but don't know how to evaluate if they are *too* cheap. I do want enough reverb to find out what I sound like when connected to the Karaoke machine.

Here's a link that I found with real cheap examples: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer/ ... adType^PLA

Or here's a cheap "Karaoke mixer": https://www.amazon.com/Karaoke-Mixer-Fi ... ech080a-20. It even offers a very cheap microphone to bring up the combination cost to less than $40. Of course, I could also spend a thousand, should my wife win the lottery. I could get the cheapest without saving - but don't want to waste my money if it won't be adequate.

Is the cheapest likely to be sufficient for my wants? What minimum criteria should I look at?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Both those units are sufficient. If you want a better mic, you might consider Craigslist.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

Thanks.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)