Wiki history page

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
DaveT

Wiki history page

Post by DaveT »

Hi Dave -- has the wiki page for version history no longer been updated? i can only get mine to go as far as 2b24, yet I'm running 2b26.

Im trying to fix an issue I'm having that appeared in the past couple of months and trying to narrow it to either my software (Kjams) or my Digital desk. Im pretty sure its either something to do with os sierras core audio, or an issue with my firewire card in the desk, and not Kjams, but was going to go through the changes made up until my current version. The desk manufacturer has asked me some questions of the software i use.

The setup -- MacBook pro with thunderbolt to firewire adapter, then direct into the firewire card of my behringer x32 desk. the desk is set to 48k sample rate (does kjams simply follow the "sound cards" sample rate and follow, or does it do on the fly resample?). The issue is random audio crackling appearing after about 2 plus hours of gigging. its not distortion but sounds like mis match of sample rates. Apple admitted it almost completely rewrote core audio for Sierra release, and in fact, some other users of the X32 have commented on random crackling that down grading to OSX prior to Sierra solved, however i have had Sierra on this laptop since new and its only in the past month or so that the problem has appeared.

At the weekend, i swapped my desk from firewire to USB (its a dual input card), and the crackling did not appear, however it threw me another curved ball with Kjams where any track that wasn't precached (i.e. if i decided to jump to a different track that wasn't next in the playlist), skipped the first 2 or 3 seconds of every track - full reboot didn't help.

So lots of dilemmas for me to try and fix. If i get time I'm going to reinstall my full OS on the MacBook to see if it solves some of my problems. The desk has had it firmware reflashed, the desk initialised back to factory default as well.

https://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/History/1.0.2beta

Thanks

Dave (T)

dave
Site Admin

Re: Wiki history page

Post by dave »

had a server issue, and restored to a backup, but that backup was old. no idea HOW that's possible, since the date i took the backup from was the day before. i'm gonna try to fix that.

kJams outputs 44.1k 32bit (float) stereo, and the OS handles it from there (any conversion to 48k is done in the OS or your audio hardware's driver)

did the skipping audio at the start of a track disappear when you went back to the firewire audio? what if you use the headphone jack?

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

I will have the desk out at the weekend and check it then to see if firewire is ok and usb not. Im playing around just on the mac just now and audio is fine from the speakers so i reckon headphones will be fine. If i replicate it at the weekend (or if i get a chance during the week) i will grab my go pro and video it so you can see whats happening if thats ok?

thanks

Dave

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

just thinking. is it possibly a bandwidth problem? the desk using USB, and the tracks being loaded from an external usb hard drive? they are on different ports on the MacBook so i don't think it will be, and some of the tracks i use with the singer are on the internal hard drive. Will print myself a list of whats on the internal HD and whats external to see if it only happens on the external (although it was almost every track so i don't think so)

DT

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i very much doubt it's a bandwidth issue.

and in any case, there's not going to be anything i can do, since i believe the problem is in the OS / driver, not in kJams