Plans to make kJams MacBook Pro touch bar compatible

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
waynegfx

Plans to make kJams MacBook Pro touch bar compatible

Post by waynegfx »

I would really love to be able to add new singer and other functions by using the new touch bar on the MacBook Pro. Is there a possibility of adding touch bar additions?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Plans to make kJams MacBook Pro touch bar compatible

Post by dave »

i'd love that too, i tried for about a week, got stalled, asked for help, heard crickets.

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

I really hope you get an answer to your questions, it would be so cool

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i'll try

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

Any luck? It would be great to be able to add new singer and add to library among other functions from the touch bar. Your program is the best for doing karaoke of anything I've ever seen

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

no luck. difficulty resides in the fact that it's a Carbon app, not Cocoa

dennisgsy

Post by dennisgsy »

My question is related to this topic but I would just like to be able to use the "play" button in the Touch Bar as an alternative to hitting the space bar to play the next song. The reason is that I use an application called "Duet" to enable me to use my iPad as the external display for the lyrics. This has the capability to display the Touch Bar on the iPad. So when myself and a group of friends want to run through our set, which is saved as a Playlist, it would be ideal and more discreet to just tap the "play" button on the iPad to queue the next song rather than walk over to my MacBook.

Put simply is it possible for KJAMS to receive the play next track instruction this way?

If there isn't then do you have any other suggestions on how to remote control the play next track? Another iPhone or iPad app is less than ideal as it would involve switching to that app. Perhaps using an Apple Remote?

Thanks
Dennis

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

AppleRemote used to work, maybe it still does?
RowMote used to work, maybe it still does?

I'll not be adding support for TouchBar, as it was a Stillborn technology

dennisgsy

Post by dennisgsy »

Thanks Dave,

I've tested the Apple Remote and it's only my old MacBook Pro that supports IR which I keep only as a backup. I may try a USB / IR adapter with my 2017 MacBook Pro. I'm also wondering if a simple bluetooth clicker like the ones used with as a remote shutter release for a smartphone may trigger the 'play' function. I will give it a try when I can get my hands on one.

I found an old bluetooth keyboard built into an iPad case which will do the job but I will see if I can find a more compact presenters bluetooth remote to operate the basic functions I need.

Many thanks
Dennis

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

cool. keep in mind that any solution you find / request support for has to be a cross-platform solution (must work on both mac and windows).
i'd love to get remote control working again.

-dave

dennisgsy

Post by dennisgsy »

Hi Dave,

After successfully using a bluetooth keyboard I decided to purchase an inexpensive bluetooth remote (satechi.net BT MediaRemote) as the InfraRed receiver is no longer built into later MacBooks.

I have been searching for a way to control the media keys and I came across BeardedSpice, which allows you to control web based media players and SOME NATIVE APPS. https://github.com/beardedspice/beardedspice#readme

I've tried it with Amazon Music and Spotify native apps and once you click play once it allows the bluetooth Play/Pause, Prev/Next buttons to control these media players.

At the end of the article it says.. "Want to Contribute?" I'm wondering if a strategy for KJAMS could be added. It gives some examples. If this would work and involves no changes to KJAMS it may provide a good solution. Could you please take a look and see if you think this is possible.

Many thanks
Dennis

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

does it work on both mac and windows?

dennisgsy

Post by dennisgsy »

It looks like Mac OSX only. I will do some more research and if I can find a way to enable the use of the Mac media keys I will let you know. If it can be done independently of KJAMS it may also be of interest to other Mac users.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i'm not interested in supporting any third party app / remote control that is not cross platform, it's just not worth the effort. thanks though.

dennisgsy

Post by dennisgsy »

I have found a IOS app called Remote Mouse & Keyboard [Pro] which is a good solution for me. It says it works with Mac and Windows although I have only tested it with my MacBook. It gives me pretty much full control of my keyboard from my iPhone (or other IOS devices). So now from anywhere in the room I can advance the next track, skip tracks, push the computer volume up or down, etc, etc.

It's not exactly what I was originally looking for but it does the job and may be of interest to other KJAM users.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/remote-mo ... d884153085

Priced at £7.99