Restore previous sleep behavior

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
DeusExMachina

Restore previous sleep behavior

Post by DeusExMachina »

Now that I know that kJams has changed it's sleep behavior, from only preventing sleep when a track is playing to always, I now have an explanation for all the times my Mac has died in my bag overnight instead of coming out of sleep with almost a full charge.
If there is not a really important reason for the change, is it possible to change it back?
Seems silly that the app keeps the machine from saving battery life when it isn't even doing anything.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Restore previous sleep behavior

Post by dave »

i don't think kjams ever had the other sleep behavior where it would only stay awake if playing a song.
i'll add it to the list to look into

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Hmm… pretty sure you're the one who told me that.
Yup
17:41:10 Me: So I guess there's no way to actually sleep the machine when kJams is running?
17:43:22 David M. Cotter: huh, yeah
17:43:33 David M. Cotter: i had initially had that only when music was playing
17:43:36 David M. Cotter: but now it’s just on all the time

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i think i meant "while i was trying to implement it". i don't think it was ever released that way. when i look into it again i'll try to find out why it got set to always on.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Hmm, well, FTR, I think the number of usage scenarios where a machine might even get an opportunity to sleep are probably minuscule, and might be better supported by a preference to prevent sleep that can be set by those few users with that niche scenario. At least relative to forcing all users of portable machines to quit kJams after every use!
As it is currently, it was rather troubling the number of times my machine died overnight. My battery cycle count concurs!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

so closing the laptop doesn't actually sleep it?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Yup. (As in "yup, it doesn't). And looking at Activity monitor, kJams is listed as "Preventing Sleep".

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Okay i just looked.

kJams does NOT prevent sleep if there is no song playing. and that includes loaded but paused. if a song is "loaded but paused" it will not sleep.

if you STOP all songs, kjams will NOT prevent sleep.

kJams DOES turn off APP NAP, always, not sleep. sorry for the confusion.