How Can I Rip CD+G tracks on another (Non-KJams) Mac

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
MacOCD

How Can I Rip CD+G tracks on another (Non-KJams) Mac

Post by MacOCD »

I have a particular song I've trying to re-rip from an apparently damaged legally bought disc. The audio is fine, but the graphics are broken up & patchy.

I've cleaned the disc thoroughly, and I've tried an old external CD-Rom Drive (Better but not perfect) but I don't seem to be able to get the track 100%

I thought I'd try & rip it on my much newer Work Mac, but I can't really install kJams on that. Is there a simple method to rip a track from a CD+G disc on a Mac that doesn't have kJams installed?

Thanks,

Mark.

DeusExMachina

Re: How Can I Rip CD+G tracks on another (Non-KJams) Mac

Post by DeusExMachina »

You could boot your machine in target disk mode, connect to the newer Mac via Thunderbolt or FireWire, as necessary, then hold the option key down while booting the new machine. This will boot the new machine using the HD on your machine. This will allow you to use your kJams install, and write to the new machine's drive.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

why can't you install kJams on the newer mac?

MacOCD

Post by MacOCD »

I need to look at my settings, I didn't notice I had a reply waiting... I've been so busy with life in the lead up to Christmas I've not been checking in on the forums.
dave wrote:why can't you install kJams on the newer mac?
The newer Mac is a work machine, I can't install my kJams on it.

In the end I gave up & re-bought the best version of the corrupt song online, but the version isn't quite as good.

My New Year's resolution is to work out how to use Producer, I have had a look at it a couple of times but I've been overwhelmed by it's complexity. Then I can perhaps use the audio from the previous version with my own words.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

did you see the tutorial videos for Producer & TunePrompter? After you do one, it gets way easier.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

If you can reboot that machine, and have physical access, you can boot it off your machine, using your kjams install, and read and write off the work machine's CD drive, which will allow you to use that drive to re-rip the track. Alternately, you could also just reboot THAT machine into target disk mode, connect it, and access its drive on your machine the same way. Doing it this way will only allow you to use the drive to read the track, not write, but that should be enough to get the data.
If that doesn't work, and it's only a few glitches, you could upload the files and I would be happy to try to fix them.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1057005/tdmoptical.html

MacOCD

Post by MacOCD »

Thanks for the replies,
dave wrote:did you see the tutorial videos for Producer & TunePrompter? After you do one, it gets way easier.
I did have a look a while back, but I've actually got some free time over the holidays so I will make a proper effort to master it.
DeusExMachina wrote:If you can reboot that machine, and have physical access, you can boot it off your machine, using your kjams install, and read and write off the work machine's CD drive, which will allow you to use that drive to re-rip the track. Alternately, you could also just reboot THAT machine into target disk mode, connect it, and access its drive on your machine the same way. Doing it this way will only allow you to use the drive to read the track, not write, but that should be enough to get the data.
Thanks, I've actually borrowed a brand new (sealed in box) external CD/DVD/Bluray drive from work and it's still bad. The track just isn't rip-able directly it seems. I already re-bought a lesser version of the track from a different make (the original one is no longer available).

For future reference though... I do have a daily backup of my Karaoke iMac. Would booting another Mac from that leave residual files/settings behind on the other Mac?
DeusExMachina wrote:
If that doesn't work, and it's only a few glitches, you could upload the files and I would be happy to try to fix them.
That's really kind of you, thanks, It's only 1 track, but the graphics are pretty messed up in places. I'll try & fix myself (I need to learn), I may take you up on your offer if I'm not successful.

I'm pretty new to Karaoke, is it normal to be so obsessive in trying to recover a particularly good version of a track when you have other versions available? :lol:

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the ability to rip has everything to do with the drive, not with the track or the CD+G disc.

if you boot a 1st computer using the startup disc of a 2nd computer, then all the stuff happens on the disk of the 2nd computer, nothing is touched on the 1st computer's internal hard drive (unless you touch it)

but it's better to just boot the computer you WANT to use (The one with kJams) and connect the OTHER computer to it via "target disk mode"

you'll want to replace all the lyrics with Producer / tuneprompter, you can't just edit one area.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

To clarify what Dave said, you can use Producer to fix bad sections of a track, but if it is badly messed up, it can be very time consuming. (I know this from experience, thus answering your other question!)
You can not use TunePrompter/Producer to fix only sections of a track, but pretty sure that was not what you were implying.
Using Producer alone to do so, you have to do it pixel by pixel, in 12 x 6 blocks originally referred to as "fonts". These are mapped to the screen in a location-specific fashion. The commands that modify them are temporal-based, any command can alter any "font" anywhere on the screen, so a glitch in the CDG to a command that is trying to draw a pixel of a particular color in a particular place can instead draw it anywhere on screen. And since there are multiple channels, actually not draw it on screen at all. A few errors here and there and the entire image can get corrupted. As I am sure you've experience, these glitches are not corrected until the next page loads.
Because of all this, fixing them can be quite a bit of work, since first you have to track down where the glitch is happening (could be anywhere on that page) where the command thinks it is writing to, where it SHOULD be writing to, etc..
That said, once you get the hang of it, it is more painstaking than confusing.

MacOCD

Post by MacOCD »

Thanks once again. I will be giving Producer a proper try in the new year.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:D