Quicktime Export Quality

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
acemc

Quicktime Export Quality

Post by acemc »

Is there any way to improve the quality of the exported quicktime files?
I find that the m4v picture quality (played through itunes & mpeg streamclip etc..) compared to the original karaoke file played through kjams is very poor.
Kjams video output is of super high quality (actually seems like high definition), while the exported m4v is really washed out & almost blurry.
I'm hoping there is a quality setting somewhere that I have overlooked, or is there some other way to improve this?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

acemc

Re: Quicktime Export Quality

Post by acemc »

I Just noticed something in the FAQ section of the forum about bicubic & hq4x smoothing.
So to sum things up, the output of the exported video resembles bicubic smoothing.
I would like it to have hq4x smoothing if possible, it's like 1000000 times beteer (imo)
Ta!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

in kJams Lite, you can only use the built in exporters

in kJams Pro, you can use any exporter, including HD ones, and turn up the quality too if you like:

http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Export_Pro

acemc

Post by acemc »

Using the Pro Tryout, I still don't get the same quality in the mp4.
Is this a limitation of the tryout?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

all limitations are discussed here:
https://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Downloads#Limitations

there are no other limitations.

what encoder and preset are you using?

acemc

Post by acemc »

Im using the MPEG-4 encoder, with H.264 HD preset

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

huh! yeah i just tried an HD export and you're right it doesn't use the upscale code!
wow, oversight.

okay i'll try to fix that, thanks for the report.

however: are you still getting "washed out" colors?

acemc

Post by acemc »

okay i'll try to fix that, thanks for the report.
Great news, I'll buy the upgrade when this is 100% sorted!
are you still getting "washed out" colors?
The exported .mp4 color certainly doesn't seem as vibrant as it is when playing the original through kjams.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

please send me the file you're trying to export. my colors look rich and vibrant both before and after

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

what i think you're seeing is a bug in QuickTime, not in kJams.

If you're on a mac, you might try this.

acemc

Post by acemc »

Sure thing,
I can certainly see a color difference in the yellow at the start, the rest isn't all that noticeable on a black background.
I just realized that my dj software (Serato) gives no picture (audio only) when playing the exported mp4 from kjams.
I had this issue when changing the extension from m4v to mp4 using the lite version of Kjams, I ended up re-endoding them using handbrake to get them to work.
Now I tested the mp4 I just made with the Pro tryout & I still have this issue?? (obviously wasn't a problem with changing the extension)
There are links for 2 X zip files, one is the original karaoke mp3+cdg.
The other contains 2 X mp4's: one is converted by Kjams (tryout), the other is a screen recording of Kjams playing the original file.
The screen recording plays perfectly in SertoDj, the exported mp4 only plays audio (just a black screen for video) in SeratoDj.
I so desperately want to just use one software only to do my shows with. My main reason for purchasing kjams was to export to mp4 to use with SeratoDJ.
Im prepared to pay for the upgrade, but there's really no point if I still have to re-encode them again using handbrake.
Please could you take a look at the 2 files to see what the differences are between them.
Thanks for your help.

LINKS:
Original Karaoke File: http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/30717088/file.html
MP4 Files: http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/25824805/file.html

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I can certainly see a color difference in the yellow at the start
hmm, i can really only see a difference in photoshop with the eyedropper tool. i can't see it just by looking.
I just realized that my dj software (Serato) gives no picture (audio only) when playing the exported mp4 from kjams.
do you mean only m4v files from the Lite version?
they play fine in QuickTime, so i'm surprised.
I had this issue when changing the extension from m4v to mp4 using the lite version of Kjams
does Serato not see m4v files?
Now I tested the mp4 I just made with the Pro tryout & I still have this issue??
did you export using the exact same export settings?
kJams Pro also has AppleTV (the one you should be using in Lite), but it also has "MPEG4 / H.264 Best" and also "QuickTime / H.264". There's also the option of the "correct gama" x264 encoder from that link above, i see it definitely does give different results (better gamma).
Did you try any of those?
Please could you take a look at the 2 files to see what the differences are between them.
the files do appear to be the same to me. one is higher rez, which i've fixed by the way in kJams, new release after i test it a bit.
well, i just downloaded and installed Serato and can't figure out even how to play any video at all. so how do i play a video???

acemc

Post by acemc »

Hi Dave, thanks for your prompt response.
For the color difference, it really doesn't bug me at all - it's possibly just different setting in my software.
Serato see's the m4v file & sometimes plays it back but with problems (it's not smooth & screen goes black from time to time) other times it's just a black screen.
I uploaded screenflows of the results of an m4v file playing in SeratoDJ & the same m4v converted to mp4 using handbrake so you can see the problems.
I think there is an issue when it comes to playback with dj software, as the same thing happens with Mixvibes Cross (another dj software i bought).
I exported using the exact settings as posted earlier, Serato doesn't play the exported mp4 video at all - just audio.
Serato also doesn't play .mov files, so exporting as quicktime is a no go. I have now also reached my free export limit (10), so I can't test anymore with Pro.
For serato video, you need to download the plugin from here: http://serato.com/video/downloads/mac
It's a demo version that has a watermark over the output, but I'm sure you'll still be able to see what happens.
Once installed, In SeratoDJ click on "setup" tab, then click on "expansion packs", then click "enable video".
Once that is done, you click on the "video" tab on the top of the main SeratoDJ GUI to enable the video screen.
Also did you download SeratoDJ or Serato? They're actually 2 different apps, I'm using SeratoDJ.
I haven't tried the gamma correct yet, I'll try that & see if it helps with the m4v files from the lite version for now.
Thanks again for all your help.

Here is the examples of m4v versus handbrake re-encoded mp4 playback
http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/39004991/file.html

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

For the color difference, it really doesn't bug me at all
whew! i know it definitely bothers some people.
it's possibly just different setting in my software
no, it's a well-documented quicktime bug
Serato see's the m4v file & sometimes plays it back but with problems (it's not smooth & screen goes black from time to time) other times it's just a black screen.
weerd, i'll try it myself and see if i can figure out what's wrong.
I uploaded screenflows of the results of an m4v file playing in SeratoDJ & the same m4v converted to mp4 using handbrake so you can see the problems.
you are very thorough. if i had money i'd totally hire you as a tester.
I think there is an issue when it comes to playback with dj software
i suppose that's possible, but if handbrake makes better output that isn't stuttering on playback, then perhaps it's the encoder
did you try encoding with x264 (with correct gamma settings!)? i wonder if that produces movies with smoother playback?
I have now also reached my free export limit (10), so I can't test anymore with Pro.
send me an email and i'll help you with that
For serato video, you need to download the plugin
Also did you download SeratoDJ or Serato?
SeratoDJ. and i am totally mesmerized by the audio waveform colors
I haven't tried the gamma correct yet, I'll try that
okay let me know. The Lite version has no access to the exporters, only Pro. email me and i'll send you a new "10 free exports".

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Okay if you want to test the high quality HD output, get the rogue and let me know.

Note that if you want transparency, it only works with "Animation" codec.

but now if you pick an "HD" encoder and have "high qual" turned on, it will smooth the graphics