Please help !

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
mamie94

Please help !

Post by mamie94 »

We have never had a Karaoke set up before . I purchased a NuVoice V-280-1 4-Channel wireless system for Christmas. We have been trying to get it set up and working for a couple of days. It is set up like this : Microphone to NuVoice receiver to iMac to HDMI to Onkyo receiver to Bose system. We are able to get sound out of only one microphone , I believe the second mic is defective and sending it back. There is a delay between the input and output from the microphone that is somewhat annoying. Are there any adjustments that we can make ?? Now, onto Kjam. I love the program but my Nu Voive system came with a disc of songs that we picked out ,and when I inserted the disc, they loaded into iTunes (not kjam). I dragged them to kjam and now when I play them, I hear music but no words on the screen from the songs that I dragged to Kjam from iTunes. I also bought a song from Kjam Karaoke and that song works fine with words on my screen. I am sure that I have done something wrong trying to transfer the songs on my karaoke cd to kjams but cannot figure it out. If anyone can help me , I would very much appreciate it. I am pretty good at troubleshooting my computer but this has got me stumped. Thanks so much, Denise

dave
Site Admin

Re: Please help !

Post by dave »

I purchased a NuVoice V-280-1 4-Channel wireless system for Christmas
awesome!
Microphone to NuVoice receiver to iMac
well wait a second there, you don't say how you go to iMac. Do you go from a mono 1/4" jack to a mono-to-mini-stereo jack to the computer's headphone jack?
to HDMI to Onkyo receiver to Bose system.
k
We are able to get sound out of only one microphone

i think you'll have to talk to the NuVoice peeps about that
There is a delay between the input and output from the microphone that is somewhat annoying.
right, what you need is a mixer. send the mics and the computer audio to the mixer, and from there to the receiver.
When you go thru the computer you're doing an A-to-D conversion which introduces latency in the mic channel.
my Nu Voive system came with a disc of songs that we picked out ,and when I inserted the disc, they loaded into iTunes (not kjam)
please read the ripping instructions: the very first thing it says is you must turn off Auto-Play so iTunes doesn't interfere
I dragged them to kJams from iTunes ... when I play them, I hear music but no words on the screen
You must stop using iTunes, it is not capable of ripping CD+G, that's what kJams is for.

mamie94

Post by mamie94 »

Thanks Dave for all the info. We go from the Nu Voice receiver to the Audio in/optical digital audio in port on the back of the iMac with the 1/4 inch jack. Where do I purchase a mixer and where does it go in the chain ???? I will read the ripping instructions again. Does it want me to turn off auto play in iTunes ???? Thanks, I feel like I need to go to school to learn how to connect all this, lol !!!! I so appreciate your help. Denise

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

We go from the Nu Voice receiver to the Audio in/optical digital audio in port on the back of the iMac with the 1/4 inch jack.
still not clear enough. do you mean you have a single cable with a 1/4" mono jack on one end and a min-stereo jack on the other end?
have you confirmed you're getting sound in both left and right channels from the mics?
Where do I purchase a mixer
the google machine knows all:
https://www.google.com/search?q=audio+mixer
note that you *may* need an A/V mixer, not just an audio mixer, if you absolutely NEED to send your audio over HDMI. I have a receiver similar to yours but it allows video over HDMI (from the computer) and separate audio over regular RCA jacks (from the mixer)
and where does it go in the chain ????
as i said: "send the mics and the computer audio to the mixer (analog), and from there to the receiver"
I will read the ripping instructions again.
great
Does it want me to turn off auto play in iTunes ????
no, in your system preferences / control panels

mamie94

Post by mamie94 »

Thanks Dave. I did everything you said but I cannot get my songs from my CD to KJams. I am not using iTunes at all. I have the CD in but when I tell it to rip, it tells me to please select all meta info for each track but the info is already there, I did that already. I am sooooooo frustrated with this. I appreciate your help very much. I guess I am just not used to all the terms and haven't done anything like this before.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

when I tell it to rip, it tells me to please select all meta info for each track
actually, it says:
Please fill in all the meta info for each track. You can select multiple tracks and set info for all of them at once using “File->Get Info…”. Your missing data: XXX
So, what is XXX? Maybe take a screen shot.

mamie94

Post by mamie94 »

I added the screenshots below. I put in the disc and go to"get info" and the info seems to be there but I still cannot get the words on my screen , just music and it still says it's missing the meta data.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-12-27 at 4.24.21 PM.png
Screenshots
Screenshots

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i was asking for a screen shot of the dialog showing XXX, that's the part i needed.

but i'm guessing it said something like "Your Missing data: Album Name"

"Audio CD" is NOT a valid album name. please enter the name of the album.

get info on the CD icon and type a real album name
that will change them all on the disc at once

mamie94

Post by mamie94 »

OK, I will try that, Thanks so much !

mamie94

Post by mamie94 »

Would you be able to recommend a good but not too expensive mixer from the sites you sent me ? Thanks, Denise

mamie94

Post by mamie94 »

I think this is the screenshot you want but I am not sure what to name the album. I got it from Karaoke WH.com and chose the songs randomly. It says MyCDG001.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-12-27 at 8.05.03 PM.png

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I think this is the screenshot you want
yep. it even says the "Album" needs to be set to something (other than the default)
I am not sure what to name the album. It says MyCDG001.
well, that's the album name: "MyCDG001"

mamie94

Post by mamie94 »

Thanks so much for all the great help. I was able to get my Cd loaded into KJams and it is working fine !!!

mamie94

Post by mamie94 »

Now onto the delay problem between the input and output from the mics. I have been reading everything I can find. I know that you said I need a mixer and some are very reasonably priced. This is for home entertainment ,so, I do not want to spend a lot. What I understand is that I must convert the audio from digital to analog through a mixer and this will stop the delay, is this correct ?? I have seen a lot of software mixers for download but not sure if those will work ??? I have, but do not use, Garage Band and wondered if this was anything that would be useful. I am pretty good at troubleshooting my computer but I must admit that I do not know anything about mixers and such things, lol !!!!!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

What I understand is that I must convert the audio from digital to analog through a mixer and this will stop the delay, is this correct ??
No. What you want to do is never have the mic audio become digital in the first place. Your Mics are analog, your Mixer is analog, your amp/speakers are analog. Mics go into mixer, mixer goes to speakers. never digital. The moment you turn the mic audio digital, you introduce latency.
I have seen a lot of software mixers for download
no, this is totally the opposite of what you want. you want a physical hardware mixer.

The audio coming out of your computer (the music) is already analog, so it goes into the mixer too.