Corrupt Library... HELP!

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
bjamn

Corrupt Library... HELP!

Post by bjamn »

Hi guys...

I can't begin to tell you how appreciative I am to Dave and his awesome work in KJams.

I recently ran totally out of disk space on my MacBookPro 17" while running KJams Pro live. Besides the fact that my system locked up and required a reboot, it seems that my entire library became corrupted in some way. I had approximately 18,000 songs in the library, but upon reboot, I had just 2,300 songs. YIKES! This, as you might imagine, was shocking to me.

So, I guess my question is, is there a way to rebuild my library so that I can keep my singers, venues, history, and such? It seems that the actual songs are still on the drive, just not in the library.

Help, please...

dj Solo

dave
Site Admin

Re: Corrupt Library... HELP!

Post by dave »

I can't begin to tell you how appreciative I am to you and your awesome work in KJams.
you just did :D
I recently ran totally out of disk space on my MacBookPro 17" while running KJams Pro live
oh yikes!!!
Besides the fact that my system locked up and required a reboot, it seems that my entire library became corrupted in some way.
mmmmmyyeeeaaahhh that'll happen in that case
I had approximately 18,000 songs in the library, but upon reboot, I had just 2,300 songs. YIKES! This, as you might imagine, was shocking to me.
bummers. but of course you have a backup, right? <wide eyes>
So, I guess my question is, is there a way to rebuild my library so that I can keep my singers, venues, history, and such?
mmmmmnope. not without a backup of your "kJams Library" folder

do you have time machine?

if you don't, i'm gonna place a bet that you go out and get that, and start making backups. amiright?
It seems that the actual songs are still on the drive, just not in the library.
yeah, sorry for the bad news :(

a backup is your only way out

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

One suggestion to minimize your work:
Sort the songs you do have in some easily monitored sort order, such as Album. Then, only reimport those tracks that are NOT in the current library. So for instance, if all your tracks are from SBI, and you have album 100-300 in your library, but 100-1200 on your drive, sort by album, then reimport only those tracks no longer in the library.
Hopefully then all the tracks that were in your smaller library that are also tracks in people's lists will still be maintained.
Best possible scenario, only those tracks used by singers were saved in those 2300 songs, in which case, no harm no foul.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

personally i'd recommend starting over, you'll have a known-clean library that way.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

The pain, however, of losing all your singer's information, is rather great.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

mmmmmmm yeah

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Meanwhile, another major issue is why you ran out of disk space. You do reboot from time to time, right? You need a minimum amount of disk space set aside for swap files, and if you allow them to accumulate, you will eventually end up with a system that thrashes, and eventually crashes, and can corrupt files. To avoid this, you have to reboot when there is too much swap space, or do some magic via terminal.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)