Compatibility some are some aint

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
lenskaraoke

Compatibility some are some aint

Post by lenskaraoke »

My MacBook pro wont read cdg's. And neither will any on the shop floor in my local mac store. However I went to get my wife a new mac laptop (cos I'm nice like that) and took along a cdg to to wind the staff up cos they tell me & no doubt every one else that a new mac will do more than an old one.

But to my surprise all the lap tops on the shop floor except the macbook pro played the cdg after I downloaded kjams. I was ecstatic, so I did as Dave advised and ordered one on the condition that the one out of the box played the cdg. Needless to say it didn't. One staff member even said that its a software problem, repeating this even after seeing the on screen message stating that the drive does NOT support the cdg format. So I ended up getting a small laptop for the missis and when I got home, just out of curiosity I downloaded kjams and tried it. To my consternation in started playing the cdg enough for me to see it was a legends disc but then stopped with a message that the disc was scratched. This happened with every disc I tried. I wanted to kill the laptop but it had just cost me £700 so I didn't
I didn’t get the message that the drive doesn't support cdg’s & I was wondering if there is any way to make it read the rest of the disc, but I'm not holding my breath.
I did ask if I could have one of the ones on the shop floor but I was told no (I think they know they are better and they want them for themselves.
Tell the truth or lose the horse

dave
Site Admin

i'm surprised

Post by dave »

well i'm surprised by that. very surprised. if it plays at all it should play all the way thru. now i think it possibly *is* apple's driver. it doesn't make any sense at all that you can play a bit and then it stops, unless the disc is scratched *or* apple is messing with me.

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

I used a brand new disc and lots of others and got the same response. As in the words of the song "its a mystery" I have emailed apple about this but I dont think I'll get a reply.

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

This is part of a reply I got from another forum, the writer said "I'm no expert" but it does seem to make some sense:-

"The laptop starting to play the disk and then stopping might be down to the format - I'm not sure how the audio and graphics are arranged on the disk, but I suspect they're interlaced so it might be that the drive starts playing the audio and then runs into what it sees as corruption."

ChurchCat

Post by ChurchCat »

lenskaraoke wrote: I'm not sure how the audio and graphics are arranged on the disk, but I suspect they're interlaced
Well they are not interlaced as such. Full information here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD%2BG

CC
Every forum needs it's own cat.

Steve Lynch

Post by Steve Lynch »

I have read that apple changed drive manufacturers on the new gen macbooks, and they are not in fact cdg compatible. I know my powerbook g4 will play them, but my 3 month old macbook pro will not.

anyone have any intel on this?

I have no idea if it's true, but I know CDG is low on the list for drive manufacturers.. hell, even the ones that do read them don't advertise it (with the exception of yamaha, and plextor.)

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

I agree that apple and others consider cdg a low priority, but find it a shame that apple thats supposed to be the bee knees for music & graphics don't support cdg. It's diabolical
I emailed apple over a week ago about all this but still no reply.

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

The laptop starting to play the disk and then stopping might be down to the format
It is certainly NOT the format. It's a standard "Red Book" CDDA format disc. Even a CD+G disc conforms to that standard format.

Apple changes drive manufacturers *all the time*, even within the same run of the same make and model of computer. Some drives apple uses *are* CD+G capable, most are not. I'd love to get my hands on that drive that you say "plays the graphics at the start, then says the disc is scratched", so i could diagnose the problem.

Please do NOT email apple requesting support for CD+G, because if you do they will build it into iTunes and then I will close up shop and you will all have no kJams any more.

ChurchCat

Re: :)

Post by ChurchCat »

dave wrote: Please do NOT email apple requesting support for CD+G, because if you do they will build it into iTunes and then I will close up shop and you will all have no kJams any more.
I can't really see them doing that.

Dave do you feel that CD+G has a future? Will dvd not be the way that karaoke will go in future years?

CC
Every forum needs it's own cat.

dave
Site Admin

the future of karaoke

Post by dave »

It is my feeling that CDG will be here for many many years, but certainly DVD will eventually obsoletify it if straight computer karaoke doesn't get there first.

And yes kJams will most certainly be able to play DVD, VCD and whatever BlueRayHD whatchamacallit comes next.

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

I dont think there's a problem with apple even reading my email cos they aint replied. But I won"t email them again. My missis is away with the laptop in question but when she gets back I will find out the number of the drive and let you know, if it's any help.....Len

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

here's the inho on that drive

MATSHITACD-RW CW-8221:

Model: MATSHITACD-RW CW-8221
Revision: GA0J
Serial Number:
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
Low Power Polling: Yes
.....Len

dave
Site Admin

:!:

Post by dave »

Matshita drives don't work. Never have, never will.