backing Up Karaoke Files

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
JoeC

backing Up Karaoke Files

Post by JoeC »

I keep my song files (more than 15,000 songs) on a remote hard drive. That way I can access them using either of my two MacBook Pro laptops. The remote drive is a 1 terra byte WD hard drive. I want to back the song files onto another hard drive (same make, model etc.) that I use for my Time Machine backups. Do I just drag the song files onto the Time Machine backup drive icon on the desktop? Do I have to be careful of text case? Somewhere on the Time Machine backup I saw something that had to do with case sensitivity. Do I have to partition the hard drive onto which I want to move the song files in order to be able to access only them in the future? I know I'm asking a lot, but I don't want to mess up my song files and I'm getting spooked that I don't have them backed up in any way. Thanks.

dave
Site Admin

Re: backing Up Karaoke Files

Post by dave »

your drives should ALL be formatted "Case Insensitive". note that is an invisible label, you will see NOTHING if it is correctly formatted. however, you WILL see the label if it is formatted "Case SENSitive" (get info on the HD icon). check your time machine backup icon.

the easiest thing to do is just include the external music drive in your time machine backups. open TM prefs, click options, and remove that drive from the "exclude" list.