Android vs Kjams server

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Krisko

Android vs Kjams server

Post by Krisko »

Hi guys. Before I ask the question, I know this has been posted before.... I was just wondering if anyone has figured out a good way to go about this yet.

I anxiously await the android app of wtkjams.

For now, I picked up a cheap cheap Android 4.0 tablet... hasn't arrived yet, but I'm gonna tinker with it so that (hopefully) only the browser is accessible, with navigation away from songbook listing, and request page is either not functional, or very much discouraged. I think I can manage that part with a dual start page, and bit of browser hacking.

Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone get around any of the obvious issues?

I thought about doing the laptop thing, but I think I'd rather android users be able to do it from their phone and have one or more of these tablets available for the people who's phone's aren't smart enough. lol

Thanks guys. I've found these forums to be a wealth of information, and thank you Dave for creating the greatest thing to happen to karaoke since the laser disc :)

dave
Site Admin

Re: Android vs Kjams server

Post by dave »

you should instead contact David Junod and get on his beta list for the 'droid version of wtkJams, as that is the future

i don't know how to lock a 'droid into one app, and have it reboot into that app only. there might be some "kiosk mode" software you can get somewhere else?

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

from what I'm reading there is a kiosk mode within android...

plus there's Surelock Kiosk app... but the licensing is expensive for what I want to do.

I'll tinker with it.. root it, and just see what I can do with it.

Thanks for the tip!! I'd love to be on that beta testing :)

djunod

Post by djunod »

There will be a kiosk version of wtkJams for Android tablets. No need for additional software or rooting.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i think they were hoping that as a "kiosk" it would be impossible to exit the program, and if the tablet rebooted, it would reboot right into the program

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

That's right dave. It's easy on an ipad with a simple kiosk case (lock, key, no buttons accessible) but a little trickier on android.

I may just use an iPad kiosk system with a few kijiji bought ereaders so that people can browse books....

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

djunod wrote:There will be a kiosk version of wtkJams for Android tablets. No need for additional software or rooting.
Just wanted to say your app is brilliant. Thank you for it. When I'm ready to unveil my paperless system, my clients are going to love it...

As per what dave was saying, any chance I'd be able to get on the beta testing for the android app? Also any chance that there will be book browsing available within app? Or is that too much data download?

And I'm sure this thread is in the wrong place now lol

djunod

Post by djunod »

dave wrote:i think they were hoping that as a "kiosk" it would be impossible to exit the program, and if the tablet rebooted, it would reboot right into the program
That's what kiosk means to me too...

djunod

Post by djunod »

Anybody capable of testing the Android version needs to register at TestFlightApp.com as a tester and then PM their e-mail address.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

! :shock: