Trying to get more volume

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
JoeC

Trying to get more volume

Post by JoeC »

I can run KJams on my two MacBooks, a 17" and a 13". I share a portable hard drive for KJams files for each. Both have 10.8.3; 2.53 GHz; and 4 GB Memory. I'm feeding my audio into my Fender Passport 150 Pro mixer/amplifier from the audio out on the MB thru a stereo mini plug. When I use the 17" I have no problems with the audio. It is as loud as I need to run through the Fender. However, when I use the 13" I need to boost the Master Gain and the individual mixer gain for the MB to the maximum setting. But I'm still not getting an acceptable level of audio. It's still too low for my needs. I have checked the Apple and the KJams Preferences setting and they appear to be adequately set. I am thinking the 13" has a default that does not let itself produce too much audio for the internal speakers, so that if I were to unplug the mini plug to the mixer, it would blow them out. But I can't help but believe that there must be some setting to allow me more audio to the mixer than I am getting. Any ideas? Thanks.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Trying to get more volume

Post by dave »

first, ensure that the volume control for the MAC is set to max, then ensure that the volume control for kJams is set to max. then you should get great (loud) audio.

you can try AudioHijack to pre-amp the audio before it leaves the computer too, if you like.

JoeC

Post by JoeC »

Thanks. I'll give AudioHijack a try. All of the other controls are set to max.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

strange. AudioHijack should be un-necessary. does iTunes play at the same loudness (when NOT using the built in pre-amp) ?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Though you might try resetting your PRAM, it really sounds like a hardware failure in your pre-amp. Either that or you have the ⅛" plugged into the mic in jack.

As a work around, you can try something like this:
http://www.rakuten.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=224435590

DJByRequest

Post by DJByRequest »

My volume goes to 11.....I use JBL eon G2s and they have been warhorses...never had a "turn it up" request

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

In this case, having a louder amp is not the issue. All a louder amp will do is to boost both signal AND noise.
Did you try the PRAM reset? First, do a permissions repair, as sometimes this occurs as a result of conflict in the audio settings files. If this does not work, reset PRAM.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

garfield2344

Post by garfield2344 »

Don't know if you've gotten this problem fixed, but I use something called a dragonfly. It goes into the USB port of my computer, then I use a 1/8 inch to 2 1/4 inch into my mixer. It bypasses the sound card of my computer and has a very crisp sound.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Although this thread appears to be dead:
http://www.globaldelight.com/boom/

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:o