Any info on making db available without credentials?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
DeusExMachina

Any info on making db available without credentials?

Post by DeusExMachina »

As in, available from server in response to a client-side server request without login creds?
A post by Dave Junod implied that that might be in the offing. The reason I am asking is I am reworking some of the server pages into overlays (like the help and create new singer pages) instead of separate pages, and I would like to do the same with the login page, but that only makes sense in the context of a universally searchable library. In other words, server page would remain on library search (as opposed to the login screen) where people can search to their heart's content, and the login overlay will pop up when thy first hit tonight. After that, it will keep them logged in (so submissions go to their lists without further login prompt) until the time-out period arrives without further input.
If the server becomes available without credential check, the rest can be done on my end (theoretically).

djunod

Re: Any info on making db available without credentials?

Post by djunod »

The way I'm doing it is with a "fake" singer, if they don't specify a singer name. And then force a login once they try to add to a playlist (tonight or favorites).

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Right. I think I discussed that with you a while back. That was my initial plan. The downside on the web server part, though, is that I will have to hack the autologout code a bit. You want the fake singer to never be logged out, but you want the page to log out an active singer after the autologout time period, at least for public kiosk-type deployments.
Since autologout is set to load the login page, that will have to be redirected. Then I'll have to spoof the fake singer login to get back to the generic fake singer's page. Unless you can think of a better work-around.
I guess I can redo the loginscreen.html code to do the whole login spoofing in the background, so every place where the current code links to the login page, it logs back in the fake singer in the background instead.
Then as I discussed earlier, just hijack the tonight and favourites buttons, to check singer name, and if it is the fake singer, bring up a login overlay instead. Store the current track data in a cookie, log the person in in the background, read the cookie, submit that song in the background to the appropriate playlist, and then leave them logged in until they/kJams logs them out.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Here is the big problem, however:
If credential-free search is coming down the pike, then all the work needed to fake out kJams, and spoof the submission and login code will be wasted, and would then need to be redone. If there is any chance that this might happen in the foreseeable future, I would really like to hold off on doing all the work to make the changes, since ultimately having it be "official" seems a safer and smarter way to go.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it may happen in the future, but not the foreseeable future, unless some enterprising C++ coder wants to volunteer to help code it up.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Sent a message to Nik. Is the same offer open to another enterprising C++ programmer (same guy who would do the SQL stuff)?

djunod

Post by djunod »

I could do it, if I still have access to the source (haven't tried accessing it in a while).

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I sense momentum (and a growing quorum!). :)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i'd be siked for that, but the source code server is down for the time being, it may be a month before it is back. which seriously messes with my zen thing, man, as i'm trying to get 1.0 done. more details at the blog.

djunod

Post by djunod »

I dug through my notes, remembered how to build... made a simple change to get search working without credentials. Tested locally.

I'll integrate when you get the source back online.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it's back

so you have to sync to the latest and get that building, then submit.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Oh, I am so psyched. Any documentation, so I can get the web side working?

djunod

Post by djunod »

Very simple, only change is that you can do a search without having to login a singer.

I'm having some issues with my system, so haven't done a complete verification yet. When I do, I'll check it in.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Any news?

djunod

Post by djunod »

I've got so many distractions these days, compounded by the fact that my internet is down until Friday (have to hotspot with my iPhone now & then).

Perhaps by Friday I'll get it checked in.