Order of Singers

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
DeusExMachina

Re: Order of Singers

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, I understand that there are "solutions" and as I used to do the door at one of my venues, I am more than comfortable mixing it up, however, IMHO letting it get to that point often creates an atmosphere that many find unpleasant, and it can corrode the night longterm, even if I am in the right. So I try to avoid such direct confrontations, but nonetheless, it happens. Usually just turning them off and standing there with hand outstretched, waiting for them to put the mic in my hand does the trick.
But occasionally you get a person who will not succumb to simple social pressures, and you have to walk a delicate line. Having to stop repeatedly because the same person keeps singing can ruin a night for everyone. So I try to be as diplomatic as I can, and then bring the hammer down on the next rotation, after making it clear that their decision to keep coming up, even if they did not actually put the song in themselves, will have those repercussions on the songs they actually PICKED to sing.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

All of which, of course, gives rise to the somewhat obvious feature request, the "skip next rotation" context menu item, whereby a person who is in duets with a bunch of people is marked to be skipped on the next rotation. A simple flag that gets reset after Rotation+1.
This has other uses, as well, like skipping people who plan to be gone for an hour or so, etc..

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Of course, having the Easter Island head replaced by a photo of the singer would also help!
:)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

head.png
head.png (12.75 KiB) Viewed 5131 times

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

He only comes occasionally.

dave