Lyrics Decsync

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
dave
Site Admin

Re: Lyrics Decsync

Post by dave »

Okay, this sounds like a good repro case.

please call me during office hours and i'll take a look. If i can see it, i can FIX IT!!! :D

natblend

Post by natblend »

I've been having trouble with "Desync lately. The only thing new on my macbook is I finally upgraded to 4G of Ram. 4 years previous, it never happened.
After reading these posts, I may be causing it myself.
Is the "scrubber" the slow moving tracking icon on the top? I never knew what it was called.
On songs with long intro's, or long solos, I will sometimes click ahead 10 seconds or so. Can that cause de-sync for that song and all that follow?
I have had to correct globally to a full second back to re-sync to finish the night.
Do we know all the human actions that can cause this problem?
thx

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

what is your "global slipping" set to? your "Song slipping"

no, dragging (scrubbing) The play head will NOT cause de-sync, in fact that will re-sync.
does it happen on every song or just some songs?
if it consistently happens on one song, send me that song.

natblend

Post by natblend »

The Global ends up at 0.80.
It's always all songs. Some night's, it starts up that way. No way to reproduce it. I'll try to get more info

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

global slipping should be zero. you didn't say what your song slipping was at.

are you playing the audio and video directly to the hardware (TV & speakers) or is the video going thru an AirPlay device? is the audio being sent thru a digital mixer?

natblend

Post by natblend »

Global starts a zero. I run audio into a powered Peavey Mixer. Not Digital, Video out using RCA's.
Same gear I've used for years, with no problem. I did add Audio Hijack recently.
I never used Song Slip, because it was always Every Song. I always went right to Global.
I run a check, using different songs I know very well. Songs I've had for years. When the problem occurs, The lyric delay
is on all songs. I keep hitting Global Slip Back. When I get to 0.80 seconds, audio and video line up perfect. I do my 3 hour show,
15 or so singers, 40 or so songs all in synch while the Glob slip back is still at 0.80. At the end of the night, I hit Global No Slip.
Next Night, new venue, I run the test songs, everything is fine at 0.
I'll try to get more clues for this problem, I realize I've given you nothing to go on.
I just wanted to learn what human factors could cause this, and I'm hearing none.

natblend

Post by natblend »

Important correction. The Lyrics don't delay. The Audio delays. A full Second.
Audio HIjack may be causing it, but intermittently.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

if it happens again, set global slip to zero, song slip to zero, and turn OFF the Hijack.
then you will likely know the problem

so the RCA jacks, where do they come from? does the computer itself have an RCA jack for video out?

natblend

Post by natblend »

Rca's via a Apple DVI to Video Adapter.
I'm now 99% sure Audio Hijack caused the audio delay.
I'll have search to see if it happens to anyone else.
I only use it for the EQ I need, that Kjams doesn't have. :(

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

AH also has a delay effect. Check to see that you don't have any other effects in the audio hijack chain. Let me know what happens when you turn it off next time it happens.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

If you just need EQ, try Boom. It is much cheaper, provides a full EQ, and in addition allows you to increase overall volume output to twice the current max volume from the Mac. This is useful on files that have very low, unnormalized sound volumes.
It is also essentially real-time.

natblend

Post by natblend »

Thanks, guys. No delay selected. I only use Monomizer, 31 band graphic and parametric EQ.
I think it's a buffer issue. a few times I ran a long 5 hours, it hiccuped a few times (cut out for a second or so). Never heard of Boom. I'll check it out

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

we still have not determined what the problem is.

please don't change anything and run a normal show. if you run into the problem, then just quit Audio Hijack. if everything suddenly goes back to normal, then the problem was AH. and running it again should fix it.

natblend

Post by natblend »

definitely Audio Hijack. It goes into the slight delay at random.
Since I quit using it, no problems at all.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)