netbook vs tablet vs old laptop for kjams web server?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
MinnieStrone

Re: netbook vs tablet vs old laptop for kjams web server?

Post by MinnieStrone »

Kjeph2 wrote:Anyone have any updated info on using netbook vs android tablet vs old laptop for kjams web server? I'm going to grab an old pc laptop for a "song station" near my kj booth, but the bar staff might not want 2 more laptops taking up room on the bartop or on the few tables this place has...so I've ordered a cheap tablet (pandigital planet) and I'm looking at getting a cheap netbook (sylvania 7" for $40?) so customers can pass them around.
Anyone tried netbooks or tablets recently? I'm debating on chaining them to a set location (bar rail, table leg) but I'd rather have them free to float if I can find some kind of bluetooth proximity alarm, so they scream and flash when they go out of range (like the bar door, lol).

thoughts?

btw, for android OS devices (or any non-bonjour), I would just note the IP address when setting it up each evening, then dump that url into a QR code generator. Then display that image as your desktop, with instructions for those with smartphones to scan it to connect. (I even create another one above that one for instant wifi connect in places that have it password protected or hassle to connect). If the bar has a static IP address, you can print the qr code onto cards or flyers to post around the bar. I even have a 3rd code that auto signs them up for my email list, LOL. ;)
I am confused to do this. Plz tell me as easy way.
Last edited by MinnieStrone on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the easy way is to use an iPad, with the app "wtkJams" period. if you can't hack your system together yourself without help, then I don't recommend that you try. Just use an iPad.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

There is also the fact that the web page does NOT render correctly in mobile WebKit. If the number of results overflows the size of the container the web page provides, mobile webKit will NOT give you the scroll bars it is supposed to. So there is no way to access any results that do not fit inside the browser pane. This is reason enough to avoid using browser to access the server in Android.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)