Always On Top

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Steve Lynch

Always On Top

Post by Steve Lynch »

The only thing keeping me from using this software live is that I DJ and run music videos via virtual dj along with karaoke, and The karaoke screen keeps dipping into the background every time I touch another app.

on the pc, you simply click a window, and choose always on top, and from that point forward, as long as karaoke is playing, nothing else can overtake the second screen.

is there an equivalent feature on the mac that I don't know about?

when karaoke ends, i want the virtual dj screen to be waiting underneath the karaoke screen layer, and when karaoke closes, pow! There's a music video...

This is the only reason I'm not using it to run my shows.....

dave
Site Admin

hmmm

Post by dave »

i take that as a feature request. it is possible to do but it does not do that now. it's now on the list.

but you could just have music videos inside kJams instead.

the only reason it "dips into the background" is because you have a window from another application on the same screen. if you move that other window away or close it, then you can go to other applications and the kJams video window will not be obscured.

this is not a mac vs. pc thing, it's a software implementation detail, has nothing to do with which operating system you're using.

ChurchCat

Post by ChurchCat »

I have not quite grasped what it is you are after.

The nearest that I can think of is for you to use the hide function. If you have a video running and then type "Control" (Apple key) + H the video hides but is still running.

When the karaoke ends you hit the "virtual dj" icon in the dock a "pow" you have the video running instantly.

The hide feature of the OS has a lot of uses and it is one that Windows is lacking.

An even faster way of using the Hide feature is to hold the "alt" key (option key) with the Command key and click on any window or on the desktop. This hides everything except the clicked window.

You can alt click on a background window (without using Command) to hide the top (active) window.

Does any of this help?

CC

p.s.

Hide and show are also available from the leftmost menu in most apps.
Every forum needs it's own cat.

Steve Lynch

Post by Steve Lynch »

no... what I am looking for is this....

the software I currently use for karaoke uses winamp. when I set the karaoke to screen 2 the karaoke opens a new full screen window on monitor 2 to play the karaoke in. because I chose this window as "always on top", this window trumps all. if I'm playing a music video in full screen on monitor two, then hit play on the karaoke, the karaoke overtakes all other open windows, and is the visible layer. when the karaoke ends, the window closes, and the other full screen window underneath is again visible.

because kjams window stays open all the time, you can't run other video stuff in the monitor two, because if you select kjams to add a new singer or something while you're playing a music video, the stupid open empty kjams window comes back to the top and blocks the music video...

is there any way to make the karaoke play window remember it's position, and close after each song automatically like most other karaoke programs do?

Steve Lynch

Post by Steve Lynch »

see, the problem is that when you touch virtual dj again, the vdj window overtakes the kjams window.

is there a way to make the kjams window "always on top" while it's playing?

in windows, you simply right click, and designate the window "always on top", and life is grand...

with the mac, it's always hide, show, don't touch this, don't touch that... how do you get the kjams window to stay on top no matter what?

and can you make an option for the window to close and open only when karaoke is being played... this way we can choose how we want it to behave.

many of us running sophisticated shows with video, lighting control, and sms texting in addition to karaoke, need the ability to use several programs at once without the selected program always overtaking the singer screen.

Steve Lynch

Post by Steve Lynch »

also, the hide function only works on the desktop, not on the second monitor only, like in windows. you have to hide the entire app in order to get the second monitor view to go away.

in windows, you can still work on the karaoke software while another app is playing music videos.

for 15 years I've loved my macs, but they're still a bit convoluted when it comes to video related apps.

and i don't mean video editing... that's a whole different beast.

this is why ableton, virtual dj, serato, and others are banging their heads on a wall.. mac osx looks slick on the outside, but it's held together with bailing wire and duct tape on the inside. I know from being on the virtual dj mac version development team that there's a major flaw in osx that prevents fullscreen video overlay..you have to use a workaround and use a window.

That's kind of a big thing, and they've been trying to fix it for 2 years now, and can't get it to work...

ChurchCat

Post by ChurchCat »

Ah!

I get it now.

I guess Dave will add the kJams stuff to his list. He is very good like that. I have no doubt that what can be done will be done.

However re-writing OS X might take him a bit longer than you are prepared to wait.

:shock:

CC

dave
Site Admin

i get what you're saying

Post by dave »

please stop perpetuating the idea that this has anything to do with "mac vs. windows". This has nothing at all to do with the operating system or the computer, only with program features. Just because nobody has done it yet "on the mac" doesn't mean that only windows can do it. When comparing user experience, please be more accurate by describing "this software vs. that software", rather than perpetuating the myth that it is somehow related to the operating system.
but it's held together with bailing wire and duct tape on the inside.

So you are a programmer then? Frankly in my 20+ years of programming experience on the mac there's never been anything i could not do that i set my mind to. And IMHO the mac programming model is very modern and robust, so i'm not quite sure where you got the notion that it's all jerry-rigged. There is no flaw that prevents full screen video overlay at all, so I can tell you that you have been mis-informed.

I will most certainly add the features you describe, and we shall see if I get it right, then you can use kJams as proof to the VDJ guys that it is possible to do what you ask. How does that sound?

Steve Lynch

Post by Steve Lynch »

dave, dave, dave.....

I'm not perpetuating any mac vs. pc sentiments... I was asking how to do it on the mac...

a simple embedded feature in windows is that you can make any window "always on top" by simply right clicking and selecting it. it's not a program feature, it's a native windows function. I can do it in any app, as it's an O.S. feature.

I do not know of a way of doing this on the osx operating system, so I asked...

also, as far as the overlay problem in osx, no I am not a programmer, but I work for programmers, and i find it difficult to believe that you have the solution to a problem that Rane (serato) Ableton, Virtual DJ, Numark, Megaseg, and PCDJ's programmers all are battling right now. The problem presented is that you can not play full screen (non-windowed) video, and overlay another full screen video (for video mixing purposes). You must use a windowed view which runs slower than the full screen mode, and hence, you get jagged video playback. I'm not talking about playing one file at a time in VLC, I'm talking about video mixing... which is what everyone is trying to do now.. There is a tremendous amount of collaboration, and info sharing going on right now to get it working, so one of these apps can be the first to make it to market with a stable video mixing product. There is a developer tech document describing the limitation, I do not claim to understand it, But I assure you, If the millions of dollars of resources behind these projects can't seem to find a solution, why haven't you said anything? Please let these guys know that apple is incorrect, and that there is not a problem, and that the people working on this very problem are wasting their time. Also, the developer think tank at the atlantic city DJ convention, discussing among other things, the crippled video features of osx, which is preventing a mac enabled video mixing Dj app from hitting the market was also a waste of time.

I did not post to start crap, I'm a die hard mac guy all the way, and by my employment agreements, I am not allowed to say who I work for on public forums, because they're a big company and very worried about people taking my opinion as company opinion. But I can tell you, I am not some 15 year old loud mouth idiot. I am also not a programmer, and I don't know what I'm looking at when I look over a developer's shoulder...

But I assure you.... The people who work on our product know more about OSX than most people. Maybe no one knows more than you, but these guys are no slouches...

please do not be so sensitive, as I was just asking how to do something that I knew how to do on the pc, but on the mac. I didn't mean to insult you or anyone else, but you should not make commentary on the video issues presented by the current osx build, as I doubt you have tried to accomplish the same result that all of the above mentioned companies.

I'm using your software, and rallying behind you, and your product. I'm just telling you that there are a few features that needed to be experimented with. We're on the same team here, and i feel your blowing up on me was a bit unwarranted.

and finally, I cannot figure out how to play .vob video files in kjams

That's the only format I use, as It's the native dvd format, as other compressed formats look like crud.

how would I do that?

Thanks!

Steve

dave
Site Admin

okay doood

Post by dave »

i humbly stand totally corrected.

Tho i have not yet done what you're talking about, what you say comes as quite a surprise to me. When I talked to the QuickTime folks about doing my video mixer they steered me in the direction of using OpenGL and left me with the impression that i could get 60FPS with several video streams, and yes full screen.

I too work for a "big company" and we use OpenGL to get our stuff out as fast as possible. Yes there have been some serious technical hurdles and we've required Apple to fix many, many bugs related to OGL, but in the end we're getting most of the performance we wanted. That app is insanely more demanding than simply mixing a video behind some CDG graphics, which is what kJams will do, hence my assumption (i know, evil) that i'd be able to quite easily pull it off.

I now officially backpedal into "let's see if I can do it", until I do now, that's all I can say.

The video mixer in kJams is many many months away. If you need something now, you'll have to check out the other guys.

And I apologize for coming across as [fill in the blank]. I realize i do that sometimes, i'm a lot ADD and bit autistic, not to mention occasionally neurotic. :?

Steve Lynch

Post by Steve Lynch »

cool man! :)

I can't hang with the big dogs on programming talk. I just go by what I'm told.
I look forward to someone getting it right so I don't have to use my PC to run shows anymore.

I appreciate the kind words, and can appreciate that sometimes feeling deciphering the proper tone of someone's post can be difficult. definitely different than speaking in person. no harm no foul... I just didn't want you to think I was raggin' on you or osx, or anyone else...

glad to hear you're working on something also!

party on.... nothing to see here...

but on a serious note, do you understand what i was looking for? I eagerly await the implementation of the afformentioned features.

Thanks!

ChurchCat

Post by ChurchCat »

Steve Lynch wrote: I can't hang with the big dogs on programming talk.
:shock:

Dogs are programming now! :shock:

That explains Vista then.

*goes, runs, and hides in cat basket.*

:wink:

CC

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

do you understand what i was looking for?
I believe i do. I'll implement it and you can correct me 'till i get it right :)

dave
Site Admin

okay all set

Post by dave »

okay steve, i've implemented what I think you wanted.

New under the window menu->always on top and ->hide on pause.

here's what you do:

drag the video window to the monitor on which you want it to play, then close it (little red box)

make sure the two new options are checked in the window menu.
make sure "auto full screen" is checked in the prefs->general

when you play a song, it goes full screen on the monitor you picked
AND it takes over the screen, even if you switch to another app, windows will not go in front of the karaoke lyrics screen

when you pause or stop the song, the lyrics will just disappear, revealing what is behind.

does that cut your mustard?

dave
Site Admin

Hello?

Post by dave »

I did this for you, what do you think?