Duplicate MP3

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
TheWarrior97

Duplicate MP3

Post by TheWarrior97 »

How do I disable the program from creating a duplicate mp3 only file when I add my cdg+mp3's to the library. This duplicate mp3 also seems to be missing all the tags that are on the original mp3+cdg.

Also, when requestiong a song using the iphone app, if no one is in line, can you have the song automatically play? I have only been able to add a request and have it play if there is already a song in rotation playing, then it will just follow. I can't get it to play if there is no song in rotation and the player is not playing a song.

Thanks
J

dave
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate MP3

Post by dave »

when you do "add to library", kjams will ask you if you want to "copy/move", or "reference", pick "reference" and kjams will index the file where it is, not copy it. however, if kjams is behaving strangely, please assume it's a bug, because i would never design kjams to behave strangely.

there is a pref "auto play KJ rotation" in the advanced prefs.

TheWarrior97

Post by TheWarrior97 »

So is the duplicate mp3 file a bug or a setting in preference I overlooked?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i can't imagine a scenario where anyone would ever want duplicates unless they specifically chose "duplicate" from the edit menu. adding to the library should not copy the song twice, leaving one of them without ID3 tags, so if that's what is happening, it's definitely a bug. IS that what is happening?

what are the exact steps? eg:
  • * have 1 zip file song on the desktop
    * run kjams with an EMPTY library
    * file->add to library
    * pick that 1 song
    * when it asks, pick "copy/move"
--> kjams copies the song twice into the "kJams Music" folder, but only adds 1 entry in the "Library" playlist, one of the copied songs has no ID3 tags
is that what is happening for you? or please update the steps to be EXACTLY how to re-create the problem.

TheWarrior97

Post by TheWarrior97 »

* have on folder full of subfolders full of cdg files and mp3 files
* run kjams with an EMPTY library
* file->add to library
* the root folder
* when it asks, pick "copy/move"
*library is filed with duplicate mp3's, one with tags and one without (dashes appear in "artist", etc)
*original folder is now missing all the songs.
*kjams Music folder has both mp3 files and one cdg each.
*One mp3 file has a "1" at the end of the filename.

Thanks
Jeremy

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

* have on folder full of subfolders full of cdg files and mp3 files
okay, right there, i need you to whittle it down to the minimum files that will cause the problem. because so far in my limited testing i've been unable to re-create the bug. so, if you can specify, exactly, a layout of this folder and sub folders, say with only two songs (mp3+g). then maybe we can get somewhere with this.
*original folder is now missing all the songs.
are you surprised by this? since you DID pick "Copy/Move"?

TheWarrior97

Post by TheWarrior97 »

I actually was suprised because I was thinking copy and paste. But it ended up being move. But no big deal. Little by little I am figuring the program out.

I have not tried to reproduce it with just a few files.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I actually was suprised because I was thinking copy and paste
thanks for that feedback, i'll try to update the wording so it's less confusing.
I have not tried to reproduce it with just a few files.
no problem, but the sooner you can do this, the sooner i'll be able to fix this vexing bug. i've tried to reproduce it but am not able to, so if you can create a test case that reproduces it, i'd be super duper grateful, and so would every other user who runs into this bug!!

TheWarrior97

Post by TheWarrior97 »

Ok.

I deleted the library file
I opened kJams
I carried one mp3 file with matching cdg file to the kjams program.
I selected "Copy/move"
2 songs appeared in the library with the same name.
The kJams Music folder has two of the same files in it with the name on it.
However this time the files are still on the desktop, they weren't moved, but copied/pasted.

I tried this process on another computer and got the same results a few weeks ago. However, updating that computer seemed to solve the issue. Maybe the other computer's program is corrupt.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I deleted the library file
Do you mean that you deleted the "kJams Library" folder? note: a file is not a folder, a folder is not a file.
I carried one mp3 file with matching cdg file to the kjams program.
I presume you mean "i went to the file menu and picked <add to library>", or maybe you meant "i selected an mp3 and a CDG in the Finder, then drag-and-dropped them onto the kJams icon, or into the kJams Browser window (into the pane on the right)" ?? or what do you mean?
2 songs appeared in the library with the same name.
if 2 "songs" appear, even tho you only added ONE song (an mp3 + a CDG), then the mp3 & CDG files did NOT have the exact same name. for them to be seen as ONE song, they MUST have the EXACT same name (not including file extension)
The kJams Music folder has two of the same files in it with the name on it.
sorry, but that could be interpreted in at least three ways. can you describe exactly what you mean, with precision?
However this time the files are still on the desktop
the files will remain where they are IF your "kJams Music" folder is on a DIFFERENT drive than the files.

perhaps we should just get on the phone, i can see this may not be very easy to describe.

TheWarrior97

Post by TheWarrior97 »

Hello again,

I deleted the "library.xml" file...not folder.

I also grabbed, dragged, and dropped onto the kjams screen and it popped up "reference, move, cancel" and I chose move. I did not select add to library from the file menu

both files are labled this except for the extension:

INXS - Pretty Vegas.mp3
INXS - Pretty Vegas.cdg

It created a second file called this:

INXS - Pretty Vegas1.mp3.

All three files are now MOVED into the kJAMS Music Folder.

On the Library Screen it shows these two files labeled under the Song Name Column:

Pretty Vegas
INXS - Pretty Vegas

I just downloaded and installed the tryout on a third computer (Laptop w/windows 7) And its duplicating the mp3 files also.

If you need me to call you thats fine as well.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I deleted the "library.xml" file...not folder.
don't ever do that. if you must, delete the entire "kJams Library" folder, or nothing. You can't delete individual things inside the "kJams Library" folder, except for singers and playlists.
dragged, and dropped...I chose move
Okay, "drag and drop" is identical in behavior to "Add to Library", just so you know. Moving will move the files (if they're on the same volume as your "kJams Music" folder), or it will copy them (if they're on a separate volume). Either way, the song files end up inside your "kJams Music" folder.
It created a second file called this
fascinating! okay, i'll try again with these specific steps! Thanks for the updated info!!

Update: Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! it is so simple! i have reproduced the bug, and it shall be fixed forthwith!
Up-Update: Fixed!! AWESOME!