Track renaming outside of kJams

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
way2fst4u

Track renaming outside of kJams

Post by way2fst4u »

I just got a copy of KJPro, and I've noticed that a lot of the files I have are not in the right naming convention (ie. CBPK, SSTR and others are not even in the list). I am going through and renaming these files with the proper prefix. I am then using KJ File manager to rename the files inside the zips.

What is the best way to re-import and keep my singers' history files? I know they will probably link to actual files anymore, but I will eventually get through them, one bygone at shows, and link them to the new files with the correct names.
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Re: Track renaming outside of kJams

Post by dave »

for those who don't know, "KJPro" is a metadata database and music book printing facility, and apparently batch renamer. It is NOT the same thing as "kJams Pro", it is made by a third party.

To answer the Q: there is no way to re-link to files in a batch if you rename them outside of kJams. That's why i recommend that you never do that. The only way out now is to manually re-link one song at a time (good luck with that), or re-build your library from scratch, losing all your singers and playlists.

let me ask you: why did you not use kJams to do the renaming? it has very powerful batch meta data fetching / editing / renaming capabilities, INCLUDING finding the names using the KJPro database.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

Dave, the only reason I have not done it with KJams is I had THOUSANDS of files to rename...probably close to 10,000.

SS
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

but kjams can do that. still i ask: why not let kjams do it for you?

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

dave wrote:but kjams can do that. still i ask: why not let kjams do it for you?
Didn't know I could?
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well, i suppose it's too late now. But now you know for the future.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

dave wrote:well, i suppose it's too late now. But now you know for the future.
I haven't changed my production machine...only my external backup.
Thanks!

Scott

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

Dave, here's my thought. If I remove ALL tracks from my current DB, would this leave the singers' history in tact, but unlinked? This is ok for me, as I'd still see the versions of the songs they liked. I can add in the new ones, one at a time as the night goes on, and rebuild history that way.
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

uhh, no. there really IS no easy way out of this for you, if you've already renamed them outside of kJams.

the ONLY way now is to re-link your songs one at a time. which would take forever. otherwise, you will lose all your singers and playlists.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

dave wrote:uhh, no. there really IS no easy way out of this for you, if you've already renamed them outside of kJams.

the ONLY way now is to re-link your songs one at a time. which would take forever. otherwise, you will lose all your singers and playlists.
OK, when you say "LOSE" singers & playlists, are they gone, I can't see them anymore? Or are they just pointing to nothing?

Let me explain, I renamed my backup. My production machine is untouched. I had to rename close to 10k files. I had spaces in the naming structure that shouldn't have been there, and there were many manufacturers that had incorrect prefixes on them. This really couldn't have been done easily from inside kJams, as there were at least 2500 or more files that wouldn't even import due to bad naming structure. I was forced to do it externally.
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

When i said "lose all your singers" it was part of the "otherwise" clause.

On the left hand side (before the "otherwise"), you're taking the path of re-linking each song one at a time. THAT is the scenario where they are currently pointing at nothing, since the songs were renamed out from under kJams. On the right hand side (part of "otherwise"), you are deleting your entire index and starting from scratch, you're starting with NO songs / singers / playlists in the library.

The fixing of spaces in the naming structure AND the incorrect prefixes CAN be easily fixed (all at once, in a batch) within kJams. The other files that you hadn't even added to kJams yet are not part of this discussion, since they're all set now, ready to be added to kJams.

I recommend that you try to fix the problems that are in kjams, USING kjams, then make your backup from the kJams drive. the others that are not yet in kJams are not a problem, and can just be added to the library after having been fixed (copied to the kJams drive FIRST, then add to library "referencing")

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

Dave I would be interested in knowing how to fix within kJams...
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

we should get on the phone so i can tailor my response to your exact use case. i'm available tonight after 7pm. see here for my number.