File structure

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
sctriggs

File structure

Post by sctriggs »

Dave, looking at Karaoke Bill's laptops and they have two different files structures, one has it neat in the folder
kJams
>kjams music
>kajms Library
>kajms CDs
the other has all the music and these three folders ... He is not able to find the songs and some one told him to copy an older library file over so the songs will be found and Bill does not need to look for them and this is "seamless' for him to use. Is it OK to move the music folders into the 'kJams Music' will this mess with the library and can I copy the 'Library folder over or which db file do I copy over from one machine to the other...

Thanks
Steve

dave
Site Admin

Re: File structure

Post by dave »

Definitely never touch anything inside the "kJams Music" folder. Read up on that 'till you really get it.

To discover the discrepancy between where the files actually are, and where kJams believes they are, read this article.

You *can* move the three other folders of music into the "kJams" folder, (but NOT into the "kJams Music" folder), but in order to do so, you must symlink their old locations to their new locations (like an alias, or a shortcut). I recommend you make a "My Karaoke" folder, and move ALL your external music into that folder (no need to touch "kJams Music" folder, of course, leave that stuff alone)

I realize this is all a bit confusing, let me know if you want to talk on the phone about it. Here are my office hours and fone number.

sctriggs

Post by sctriggs »

Dave, Thanks... I did the reading and will not touch the kJams music folder... but going through some of the songs and I am finding that the songs under 'My Disc' are not being seen and I can find it and re-link the zip file OK... wonder if the S-linker will do the job faster or just go through each file and re-link it????

the other mac book has this
kJams
>Every music folder
>kjams cds
>kjams music ( this folder is empty )
>kajms library

Can I copy the music into kjams music folder?

thanks and yes a fone call would be nice

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Can you give me a screen shot of what you mean by "My Disc"?

reading the article on "Missing" should help you discover where kJams believes the files to be. Knowing this, you can then discover where they actually ARE on the disk. As you say, re-linking works, but you don't want to have to do that at all, you want them ALL to "just work", and fixing where they are to be where kJams THINKS they are will fix them all at once.

step 1:
using the Missing article, fix the place where they are to instead be where kJams THINKS they are. this will fix ALL the missing songs at once, except for the ones you manually re-linked (it was a mistake to re-link them, they will have to be re-re-linked, now that you've done it correctly)

step 2:
move your external folders all into "My Karaoke", and do the symlink trick, this will tell kjams where the new location is and they will all work.
Can I copy the music into kjams music folder?
well, um, no. I was trying to make it clear that you are not to ever touch that folder. maybe re-read the article on it, so you know why yourself, so you won't wonder if that is okay.

If, after all this, you still would like to talk, you can call me during office hours.

sctriggs

Post by sctriggs »

Well, after spending some re-linking the files, the thought came to try another rebuild of the library.. followed the instructions and the rebuild did work, ALL the Albums including the 'My Disc' did come up and are playing OK. did not mess with the other unit and may deal with that at a different time.

Steve

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well, yes, rebuilding works too, but then you lose your playlists and singers. i was trying to avoid that. but i'm glad it's working! :D