Multiple karaoke collections - switching drives

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
kburke75

Multiple karaoke collections - switching drives

Post by kburke75 »

Is it possible for me to use a different collection of karaoke songs (aka, the bar has their own hard disk of music) and not lose my collection. So basically I want to be able to use their music at their bar and my music on my own. Any way to do this? Hope it makes sense what I'm asking. Thanks!

Kev

dave
Site Admin

Re: Multiple karaoke collections - switching drives

Post by dave »

1: create your OWN library, totally separate from theirs (rebuild if necessary to ensure you have only your own music
2: create a new playlist and put ALL songs (of yours) into it
3: turn on "create playlists of newly added songs"
4: do "add to library" on the bar's folder of songs, pick "reference"
5: turn OFF "create playlists of newly..."
--> now ignore the Library playlist, it is a combo of YOURS and the BARs.
--> you have a playlist of YOUR music, and another playlist of the BAR's music
when doing YOUR shows, only look in YOUR playlist
when doing the BAR's shows, look in the Library (combo)
the BAR's playlist is there if you need to see if they have it but you don't.

This is missing one piece however, that is that if you're using the server, currently kJams always searches the Library, rather than the playlist you designate as the list of song. which means that when doing YOUR shows people would be able to find and submit songs from the BAR, even tho those songs are not actually available. let me know if you need this fixed, as it would be pretty easy.

kburke75

Post by kburke75 »

Excellent! This is great as I'd rather use Kjams to run the nights than their software which is running on a really old bad laptop. If there would be any way to limit what songs are viewable per playlist that would be great! :)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay, i'll add the ability to let the KJ specify which playlist to search via web clients (per venue)

Update: this feature will be in the next release. right click on any playlist and pick "Playlist is used for Server Search"

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Actually, I am working on an "omnibus" launcher app that will let you have multiple libraries, and pick which one you want to use at launch.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Might it not be easier just to do what I was in the process of doing, allow the user to pick complete libraries, and just swap them by name?
I envision a folder of potential libraries, sorted and named as convenient, which are copied into the kJams folder as aliases to their respective Songs.ktd/Library.xml, etc.. Thus multiple different library/venue combinations are possible, with some setups using a given venue for multiple different libraries, and a common set of venues, or one library with different venues, etc..
Mostly I was envisioning this for the twin purposes of simplifying testing and bug checking on sample libraries, and having a separate library for my secret projects.
But it would also work to address the current request.

Seems a bit easier to implement (just some Finder trickery) than delving into making variable playlists visible to the server (though I suppose that has some of its own independent uses).
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

if you mean "easier for the user" that's debatable, as i expect the UI that Mark is creating to be pretty simple.
if you mean "easier for dave to create" the answer is emphatically "no". i'm insanely busy just fixing bugs right now and really don't have any time at all for new big features. and this is a big feature. :)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I mean easier than adding Server searches only set playlist, a feature you just said you were adding in the next release. Seemed simpler to just alias things out, like I am doing in my app, but if it is simpler on your end just to change the server target playlist, that is that.
:)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Setting the playlist that the server searches is trivial, it's like one line of code, plus a bit of UI so you can select it. It's actually in the current release.