Weird issue with Numark DJ/IO and iTunes/kJams Crossfader

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
way2fst4u

Weird issue with Numark DJ/IO and iTunes/kJams Crossfader

Post by way2fst4u »

I am using a 13" Macbook Pro, i5 w/8GB RAM, and OS X 10.6.8
My music and kJams app are running off a WD MyBook Studio FW800 Drive.

Once I get everything set up, kJams and iTunes will crossfade for several songs, then stop working completely. At about my 3rd or 4th singer (random) I will get no output from kJams to the external soundcard. I watch the volume level move up, but nothing comes out. The preferences is still set to Numark USB Audio.

I have been forced to make a work-around by putting the iTines background music through the audio out port, and kJams through the external sound card. I adjust the mix through an external mixer. This is a problem for me, as some of my regulars ask for recordings of their songs for the night, and I am no longer able to provide this, since the Macbook Pro 13" only has one in/out 1/8" mini jack.

Is anyone else using a DJ/IO successfully with the crossfader script?

Thanks!
Scott
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Re: Weird issue with Numark DJ/IO and iTunes/kJams Crossfade

Post by dave »

i've heard many stories of audio sent to an external card not working correctly when done via kjams. i've re-written it a couple times to try to get around these problems.

something you can try is AudioHijack. Send all audio out to the system, then use AH to hijack each app you want to send to a different output, and send it using AH. this will eliminate the kjams audio router from the equation. if you STILL get intermittent troubles, then it's the sound card, but if the problem goes away, it points the finger squarely at kJams and i'll have more info to go on.

a more light weight but a bit more work is to use SoundFlower to do the same thing.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

Thanks Dave. I will try one of those options tomorrow and report back.

Scott
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:D

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

dave wrote:...Send all audio out to the system, then use AH to hijack each app you want to send to a different output, and send it using AH. this will eliminate the kjams audio router from the equation...
I am trying to get iTunes and kJams to go to the same output...not different. I'm going to try soundflower...

SS
Thanks!

Scott

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

SoundFlower was a nightmare...1/2 way through the 1st song output by kJams it started crackling, then made a high pitch squeal until I shut it down. Re-opened it again, and played 4 songs through iTunes with no trouble. Fired up kJams and once again, about a minute in, it started making noise so I killed it. Also, Updated to 1.0d52r62 last night and it crashed 3 times throughout the night...I NEVER crash. Rather embarrassing! I'll be testing out updates before I install at a show from now on! ;)

Scott
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sorry about the soundflower problem, i've never had issues with it, that's why i recommended it. but AudioHijack is a pro-audio app and i'm sure it will NOT have the problems that SoundFlower apparently has.

as to your crashes: i saw your crash reports, and the problem was due to a corrupted singer record while you were switching venues. all three reports showed the same thing.

first: do you often switch venues during a show? (of course, it should never crash even if you do)
second: please zip and send me your "kjams library" folder. i'll reproduce the crash here and make sure kjams no longer crashes with this issue. the fix (presuming i get your library and can reproduce the bug) will be in Sunday night's release.

:)

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

Dave, my kJams library is 50Mb zipped...? I'm still having some small problems.

Yes, I often switch venues during a show as I have many singers that just "show" up at a new venue. Happens pretty much every show.

I am also trying to use the Copy singers Script, but I'm getting an error there: Can’t make file ":DJ Drive:kJams:kJams Library:Library.xml" into type file.

Scott
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

my kJams library is 50Mb zipped
okay, make a dupe of it, then go into the dupe and delete the music stores.
then zip all that and send it.
I'm getting an error...trying to use the Copy singers Script
hmm, you'll have to get an answer from the author on that, i'll make sure he stops by here

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

songs.ktd is 100mb...?
Thanks!

Scott

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Looking at the script issue. What OS are you using? Apple sometimes breaks things from version to version. I'll have to test given your specific OS as well as general testing.

As to the songs .ktd file, I have almost 100k tracks and my file is only 45MB, so that is pretty large.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay, well, zip the "kjams library" folder, and put it in my dropbox (sending an invite)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Okay, I have looked at it and am not seeing the problem, but, I suspect the issue is here:

Code: Select all

on run {input, parameters}
	set kJamsPath to "Users/yourusername/Music/kJams/kJams Library/"  <<<<----CHANGE THIS LINE
	set kJamsLibraryPath to kJamsPath & "Library.xml"
	set XMLfile to (POSIX file (kJamsLibraryPath))
	set Paras to paragraphs of (read XMLfile)
	-- we cycle through the list and extract the portion between the tag we're interested in
	-- we know that the tag we want is immediately after "<key>Current Value</key>"
	set tagValue to {}
You need to hand edit the marked line to match the path to YOUR kJams library folder. I will try to make this clearer in the code I posted.

Note: This script can be REALLY slow. This is not the fault of the script itself, but rather the way the current architecture of kJams handles venues. Switching venues can take a long time, and scripting the switch does not change that. During this switch, you will be locked out of the interface, so plan ahead when best to do this.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

all uploaded. Thank u
Thanks!

Scott

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

DeusExMachina wrote:Okay, I have looked at it and am not seeing the problem, but, I suspect the issue is here:

Code: Select all

set kJamsPath to "Users/yourusername/Music/kJams/kJams Library/"  <b>[color=#FF0000]<<<< You need to change this to the path to YOUR kJams Library folder[/color]
	-- we cycle through the list and extract the portion between the tag we're interested in
	set tagValue to {}
You need to hand edit the marked line. I will try to make this clearer in the code I posted.

Note: This script can be REALLY slow. This is not the script it self, but rather the way the current architecture of kJams handles venues. Switching venues can take a long time, and scripting the switch does not change that.
Here is mine:

set kJamsPath to "DJ Drive/kJams/kJams Library/"
set tagValue to {}
repeat with i from 1 to count of Paras
if item i of Paras contains "Current Venue" then -- first we find the tag we're interested in
set tagValue to item (i + 1) of Paras
exit repeat
end if
end repeat
-- return tagValue
-- next we extract each value from the found tags knowing that the value is between "<string>" and "</string>
repeat with i from 1 to count of tagValue
set thisTag to item i of tagValue
set thisTagValue to ""
if thisTag is ">" then
repeat with k from (i + 1) to count of tagValue
set thisTag to item k of tagValue
if thisTag is "<" then exit repeat
set thisTagValue to thisTagValue & thisTag
end repeat
exit repeat
end if
end repeat
thisTagValue
set kJamsPath to kJamsPath & "Venues/"
set venuePath to (POSIX file (kJamsPath))
set singerPath to (POSIX file (kJamsPath & thisTagValue & "/Singers"))
set Singers to (choose folder default location alias venuePath with prompt "Choose singers to copy to the current venue" with multiple selections allowed) as list
repeat with i from 1 to count of Singers
tell application "Finder"
set Singer to item i of Singers
make new alias file at singerPath to Singer
end tell
end repeat
set kScriptCommand_RESCAN_VENUE to 19
tell application "kJams Pro"
docommand kScriptCommand_RESCAN_VENUE
end tell

return input
end run