Kjams seems to be the best bet

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Laffing Rain

Kjams seems to be the best bet

Post by Laffing Rain »

hello I'm new. I had kjams trial version, the lite one, a year or so ago. I couldn't get the lyrics on screen for some reason, then I got this new Mac with Intel and I ready to get kjams again. this is what I want to do:
make my own cd & g discs that will play on the karaoke machine in the clubs I go to. I'm not a kj host. just a singer. I've been buying tunes for $1.99 each over the years, and frankly, have so many I really don't need to buy anymore.
but this is a challenge to me, to be able to make my own. Will the lite version or the pro version be for me? and if the lyrics need editing, as sometimes they are wrong or misspelled, can I edit them in kjams? and can I sync them too? or is that already done? Can I import tunes or do I have to purchase the tunes first from the k-jams store? or if I wanted to do that, does that mean I would have to purchase k-jams plus k-jams producer?

then what about this other software to burn a cdg is that separate to purchase? I express burn but it needs to be purchased to get it to work.
It seems like k-jams, if I can get the right package, has everything I need to make my own discs.

one reason I want to do this, there are some songs I would really like to perform which are not made into karaoke. (this is everyone's complaint) I know how to muffle the vocal with that software, but I wonder if k-jams would let me put the lyrics into it and burn it to a disc? I feel it's important to have the lyrics up for the audience to follow along. I saw a kjams software for $29 on the net. I'm not sure whether to buy the kjams producer. have a limited budget here.

I assume I could come here for help if I can't figure out something. thanks for a great forum. be back I'm sure. oh, I have a very good Mac 10.6 desktop. I should be able to pull this off sometime this year. happy singing..

dave
Site Admin

Re: Kjams seems to be the best bet

Post by dave »

If you plan to create and burn your own karaoke, you will need kJams Pro, the Producer plugin and the Burning plugin, all of them are sold separately, and NOTHING needs to be purchased in order to see if it works. (where did you get that information?)

The songs you buy from iTunes do NOT have video lyrics, cuz they're not karaoke. Generally you purchase karaoke songs to sing, and you can do that inside kJams.

If you want to sync lyrics to songs that don't have them, or if you want to edit lyrisc, kJams let's you use Producer to import TunePrompter files directly, so you can add finishing touches. (TunePrompter let's you enter, edit, and sync the lyrics to the music)

See here for Producer and TunePrompter.

kJams does not really do vocal suppression, so you'll need other software for that.
I saw a kjams software for $29 on the net
Please tell me exactly where you saw that?

Laffing Rain

Post by Laffing Rain »

thanks for response. I'm still studying what to buy and what my puter can do already. that software must have been something else for 29 as I can't find it now. seems to be a lot of free karaoke software for the PC out there but only kjams for the mac. which is fine, I'd probably love it once I figured it all out. I have the tune prompter and enjoyed messing around with that.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well, let me know if you have questions, i'm here to help. note the forum is generally for questions you feel everyone would benefit by having the answer to. if you have specific technical support questions, just email me. dave at kjams dot com.

djunod

Post by djunod »

As a regular singer (we go to at least two different venues every single week), I can say that I am very pleased when it is a properly run kJams venue. The main reason being the client app, whether you choose iJams or wtkJams for the iPhone, running a Kiosk, etc. I don't like browsing through a book, I don't like filling out slips, and I don't like having to press through all the people to give the KJ a slip. Your customers will be happier with kJams and the experience they will enjoy having.

When I say "properly run", I mean actually have kJams Pro with the Server turned on. We have one local kJammer who refuses to turn on the Server... so I refuse to go to his show.

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

djunod wrote: "properly run",
Now that depends on the customer base completely. I've recently had 70 A5 books printed and they've gone down an absolute storm. They're pocket size and I've only included tracks that are known in this country (13500 tracks) and my singers love it. They take a book home and they can then study whats available to sing at home instead of searching when at a venue and the book will get updated every other month. I'll have them printed with the artist first and then the song first, alternately.

I tried the server route, but only a few tried it and they didn't like it!!

I have some singers that refuse to come to my karaoke because I won't play disc!!! so whats
djunod wrote: "properly run",
it's all subjective and all avenues need to be explored to keep singers coming in these difficult times
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

why not play discs?

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

Can't be bothered cos I need a separate drive for them and folk could bring a memory stick, everyone that brings a CDG to my karaoke also use computers for karaoke at home so they would have no problem putting their tracks on a stick. Also they NEVER know the track number (its always a generic CDG)
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

fair enough :)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

FYI, there is "free" karaoke software for the Mac too, and just likes its Windows counterparts, they suck, too.)

Well, for basic, "sit in your living room and screw around" karaoke, things like VLC are fine. Once you want to do anything serious, though, you'll soon hit a brick wall.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:?: