Transferring music from mac to PC

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Brendan

Transferring music from mac to PC

Post by Brendan »

I just bought a windows 7 PC( please don't ask) I would like to keep kjams on both machines and use the PC for a back up. Can i copy the music folder to a CD and drop it in my PC kjams music folder? I have connected two macs and dragged files over but never between mac and PC. I would like the ability to be able to sync the two computers music folder once in a while but not sure if it is possible across platforms.

I also have files i "Added to library" i have in a special folder, i know i would have to copy that folder separately. - Thank you

dave
Site Admin

Re: Transferring music from mac to PC

Post by dave »

i very much doubt that your "kJams Music" folder will fit on a CD

you should just network your computers and use drag and drop. and in that case, yes, just putting the kJams Music folder into place will work fine. and dragging the other folder of your music too, but you'll then have to use "add to library" on that.

you can easily keep the music folders in sync over the network, but when you do that you'll have to rebuild your library every time.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I was able to network and transfer my kjams music folder from computer 1to computer 2 after removing the original kjams music folder in computer 2. I still dont see the songs showing up, is there another step i need to take? I tried restarting kjams but this did not work.- Thanks

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

throw out the "kJams Library" folder on computer 2, then run kJams

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Perfect, Thanks Dave!

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Okay, I know this is above and beyond kjams but i have been trying to figure this networking thing out and im at a loss so any help is appreciated. I am now trying to copy my files to my last computer over the network. When i attempt to copy a folder, in this case my "imports" folder, i am prompted to enter my password. I enter the password and it appears to start transferring before i get the message "one or more items cant be copied because you don't have permission to read them. Do you want to copy the items you are allowed to read?" I click continue and i get the message " The operation cant be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items" In the file sharing window in system preferences, i set my "Music" and "Imports" folder to be shared. Should everything within my "Music" folder be accessible ie... itunes, kjams etc..? Do i need to set permissions for each folder within a folder? Is there a way to do this globally or do i need to go into each folder and set permissions? Any help is appreciated. :cry: - Thank you

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the easiest thing to do is: when you mount the volume, log in as an administrator. sorry i would really just have to see it for myself to be of more help.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave:
This very well may be a lingering System Migration issue. :(
Sometimes when you move a user account over, or even just transfer files,it does NOT correctly set the permissions of those files to the new owner. The result, as you have sometimes seen on MY nightmare machines, is that many files no longer are set to belong to the person doing the copying. As such, when you try to trash them, copy them, rename them, etc.. OSX complains vociferously, and won't let you. This is particularly bad with iTunes files. Logging in as admin does not really help, as you still can not access folders in another account via the UI. Terminal works fine, with sudo, but that gets kinda tricky.
What you need to do in these cases is to modify the permissions of every file in the folder. To do that can be VERY tedious, or you can do them all in a batch with software like BatCHMod http://www.macchampion.com/arbysoft/Bat ... nload.html.
Hope that helps.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Just throwing this out there:
Cross Platform and FREE:
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
http://www.ifolder.com/ifolder

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks for the info, i think i will go through and change the permissions in all my folders. I noticed in my imports folder, it shows the folders i need to change permissions for(by a Little minus sign on some folders). The music folder does not show the little signs, is there a way to expose this? Geez, i thought this would be a breeze! Thanks for the help.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

The problem is probably not your Music folder, but rather individual files and folders inside it. (FTR, transferring user profiles in Windows successfully with no lingering issues is no picnic either.)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Yeah, sorry, this is outside my area of expertise!

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Yeah and im no computer whiz to top it off! Is there another way? I have the files backed up on an external drive, can i pull them from there and get it into my windows machine? Ifnot, i will just take it to a computer tech and pay him to do it. -Thanks :(

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

When you copy files, the files should have their preferences set to the correct settings.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks