What's This meta data stuff?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Steve Lynch

What's This meta data stuff?

Post by Steve Lynch »

Hey!

I keep seeing all this talk about entering meta data. All I did was drag my entire collection into the library, and it just works... Is there something else I need to be doing, or is meta data the stuff like track ratings, and stuff like that?

Thanks!

Steve

dave
Site Admin

meta data

Post by dave »

meta data is the info *about* something, as opposed to the thing itself. eg: a song is a thing, and it's typical meta data is the song's title, artist, album, track number, duration, etc, and it's slightly less typical meta is encoding, rating, pitch change, key, tempo, etc and etc forever.

On a regular CD, the meta data is NOT embedded on the disc, so it will by default read "Audio CD" as the album name, and "Track 01" etc as the track names. kJams will attempt to gather the meta data from the "freedb", but if it is not available, you will have to type it yourself. (Then please submit to the freedb).

If you've got a pre-existing library of MP3+G files, then you probably already have the MP3 files tagged with ID3 (a meta data format), in which case you will also not have to type anything.

ChurchCat

Re: meta data

Post by ChurchCat »

Wiki wrote:Meta (from Greek meaning "after", "beyond", "with"), is a prefix used in English in order to indicate a concept which is an abstraction from another concept, used to complete or add to the latter. The Greek "meta" is equivalent to the Latin "post".
:wink:

CC

dave
Site Admin

meta

Post by dave »