itunes and kjam

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
texwire

itunes and kjam

Post by texwire »

Can you somehow use i tunes to play when a karaoke song is not in use or do you just have to toggle between players

dave
Site Admin

Re: itunes and kjam

Post by dave »

you can have auto cross fade if you're on a mac :)

https://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Code/new ... Crossfader

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Since a previous post implied that the poster is on Windows, no crossfader love. That said, nothing prevents you from doing this manually.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

doh! :o

datkinson82

Post by datkinson82 »

Hey so i have kjams on mac and the crossfade script to itues is awesome, i also have kjams installed on a pc and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to setup a script like on Mac but for the windows version, to crossfade between kjams and itunes.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

As the writer of two of the crossfader scripts, as far as I now, there is no consitent way yet to do so on Windows. Perhaps once there is some support for python or some other cross platform scripting language.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i do not know of a way

djdudeman

Post by djdudeman »

Is there a way to modify the script so that only the iTunes volume goes up and down?

I find I lose the first note or two, and with some songs, thats the starting chord before an accapella...

Cheers!
Mikw

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Sure. You can either delete the parts that control kJams volume directly, or you can leave it in, and pause before starting the kJams volume change.
Alternately, just write an "iTunes fader" script.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeC

Post by JoeC »

I am very interested in the crossfader script. Does this fade between every song, going back and forth between iTunes and Kjams? Or can I set this up to crossfade when and how often I wish it to? I set up programs that play a few iTunes songs and then switch to a few Kjams songs and back and forth. So I want to enact this script multiple times and at various times.
Thanks.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I uploaded two versions. One is manual, and crossfades when you tell it to.
The other is automatic, and crossfades to iTunes automatically whenever you do not have a track playing in kJams, and will play until you start a track in kJams, at which time it fades iTunes back out while fading kJams back in.

JoeC

Post by JoeC »

Thanks for the work on the crossfaders. They are awesome! They have made my life so much easier. Yeah!! :mrgreen:

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)

aantix

Post by aantix »

DeusExMachina wrote:As the writer of two of the crossfader scripts
You're not _only_ author of the crossfade scripts. The initial manual cross fade script was written by OSS (11/12/2007). My auto cross fade built on top of that (10/28/2008, update:5/12/2010).

People that do open source donate their time; they deserve acknowledgement.

DeusExMachina

Re: itunes and kJams

Post by DeusExMachina »

Sigh. I have addressed this several times already. First, I credited OSS on the Code page. (I would point out that nowhere in your v2.0 script page do you do likewise). I also directly link to his version. Second, I completely changed the control logic of the script. This was necessary to make the script work the way I wanted it to, fading between arbitrary volume levels, and not simply assuming max volume (an assumption which causes immediate volume level changes if they are not set to max, potentially hurting your audience, and damaging your equipment).

As I stated a year ago in a private message to you, "the control logic I DO use does not really "assume that if iTunes is playing and this script is run, you want to cross fade over to kJams." The script is not meant to be run in that fashion… Furthermore, it is not triggered by iTunes' play state, as your script's change log states, but rather the exact opposite. My script is triggered by kJams' play state. If kJams is playing, it fades out iTunes. It does not care what you do with iTunes after that. You can pause, stop, even quit iTunes, and it will not cause kJams to start playback. Unlike what it states in your change log, if you start iTunes playing, and then run the script, it will not fade in kJams. Likewise, if iTunes is not playing and you run my script, it will not assume you want to cross fade over to iTunes."

It no longer works the same way. You made a big deal then about including "previous version" change logs in the comments. As I said then, this would have made NO sense, and been needlessly confusing. Your commented section at the top states or implies a number of things that simply are not at all true in the script I wrote. I did not run yours, so I don't know if it works the way you mentioned in your comments, but I do know that mine does not do these things, so it would have been very counterproductive to have included those comments.
Third, I also discuss the original script in the comments.

Lastly, as I also pointed out, my script grew out of an attempt to help an individual user out with a specific problem/request. Open source politics aside, all that back history was hardly appropriate.

Not sure why this is such an issue to you that you keep bringing it up (and eliciting the same response). One would have thought if it were such a big deal, that you would have included a GPL or BSD license in the comments section.