Chartbuster Song Books?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
simpmech

Chartbuster Song Books?

Post by simpmech »

Dave, I am curious if you or anyone else has an idea for adding the chartbuster song list to a song book. Example ...we have our current song books printed up with approximately 8300 songs. I would somehow like to incorporate chartbusters as well.
A few things I see being a little tricky, I could easily select all songs and just add them to my current list in my script, but I would be also selecting the doubles in there (with or without lead vocals ) etc. I need to check but maybe I can eliminate the vocals from the list via the drop down menu?
Next question, since the new list to be streamed will be dependent on us having wifi where we are at (not every show I do has access ) would it be wise to print a book separate for tbe shows where we do have the net? .
Just spitballing some thoughts out there and how others plan on doing this .
Additionally, how is ijams going to work with this?
Long post I know but thanks for your input
Derek

dave
Site Admin

Re: Chartbuster Song Books?

Post by dave »

Sure you can do that.

you can set a preference in the CB Music Store prefs panel where the store does NOT show the ones that have lead vocals.
after you reload your CB music store, you can then sort by price, then select all the streaming songs and drag them into a playlist
then make a song book from that

yes good idea to make it separate so you can withhold it on the nights you have no internets.

iJams currently does NOT search music stores. i'll enable that after i get "Fast Searching" done.

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

Still having an issue with eliminating duplicate or triplicate songs for song book. For example, "new kids on the block / 2 in the morning, has 4 song listings. If you look at the Album column each song has a different letter after each detailing vocals left, right, center, no lead vocals etc. I am attempting to just show the songs with NO lead vocals (and of course the backing vocals column checked). So far I cannot make this happen. Ideally to get this list and then "select all" and drag into my script would be wonderful. Am I missing something simple here or am I going to have to eliminate each duplicate song manually?
Thanks,
Derek

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

did you go to preferences->store->chartbuster
then UN-Check "show songs in the store that have lead vocals" ?

do that.

then re-load the chartbuster store.

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

Sorry should have elaborated more. Yes I did that, and it says "will take effect next time kjams starts" but I exit out and the songs r still there

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

no, it says "will take effect next time you reload the music store"

which you need to do still.

right click the music store->reload

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

TY, thats what I get for "assuming' it reloaded each time you restarted Kjams :)

kevinkelly

Post by kevinkelly »

An interesting thought...for those that use the Chartbuster streaming service, you don't include EVERY single song that CB has ever released in the book do you?

For those that are interested - and maybe I should start a different thread on this - but about a year and a half ago, I dumped the book! That's right...a very good friend and karaoke host of mine, Dangerous Dan, has been using karaoke "menus" for quite some time. I asked if I could copy his idea and he didn't mind at all. I was tired of the books...anyone close to my age or older (ha ha) can't read the size font in the book and if you make the font big enough then your books are freakin 4 inches thick...no thanks. The menus are golden and I recommend that others do them...contrary to what you think, you don't have to have every single song in your library listed. I purchased legal size plastic menu books off of ebay...these are classified as 6 pages/12 views. So each page I have put into catagories...the first page has my company logo on it and it has the Top 50 karaoke songs of all time, page 2 - new songs, page 3 - faq about karaoke (how to hold the mic, etc) page 4 - 90's greatest artists, page 5 - 80's greatest artists, etc. I honestly thought I would get a ton of push back from singers looking for huge books but I have gotten little to none! People LOVE the menus and they work great, easy to pack up and wipe down when dirty, and they look awesome!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the Chartbuster streaming service, you don't include EVERY single song that CB has ever released in the book do you?
if you're asking if all CB songs are in the streaming store, no i don't think they're all there, just a selection.

and you know what I do for the singers to select songs? no song books, no menus. I hand them an iPad! yes!! they can log in and search for songs, and submit them directly to the cue! no song slips! i don't even have to manage the rotation, it's all automated BY THE SINGERS THEMSELVES!

no iPad? any wifi capable smartphone (or computer) with a web browser. you can get a cheap kiosk from ebay for $100. WAY cheaper than printing new song books every time you update your library!

Really, it's the future, give it a try:
http://kjams.com/wiki/Server
http://kjams.com/wiki/iJams

kevinkelly

Post by kevinkelly »

An iPad? Wow that's cool....are you ever afraid someone may walk off with it? I would be waaay to afraid to do that lol. I have hats and props at my shows and I have to watch that they don't walk out with those I could only imagine an iPad. (if they do walk off with a hat it's not usually on purpose, it's because they are drunk.)

Good news! I just called CB and the whole entire library is available through kJams including anything new that is released.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

no, you can take their car keys or their wallet as collateral.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Thought I'd interject with this old thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1367&p=7750&hilit=server+lava#p7750

Next step: Android tablets. I will probably have some for sale cheap, with my modified kJams server files, if anyone is interested. I'll post them over in the market place.
:-)

DJByRequest

Post by DJByRequest »

We have printed our last phonebook sized books. I am stealing an idea from both some earlier posts and cats meow karaoke in new orleans. I am putting a "most sung" book together. I searched by play count and found like most people that 90% of my songs are rarely if ever used. So they will now be 3-4 page flyers, easy to hand out and cheap when the drunks ruin them. I can still look up anything for folks but hope it will cut down on what I call "analysis paralysis" those folks that hog and flip through the book all night...and never sing.

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

We just did a "Luau" party last Saturday. All outdoors, pool, hot tub, hog, the entire spread. Was great..now on to my post 8) I set up a table with One songbook (I use the streaming service so I have painstakingly combined that into my library. Omitted duplicates and bad versions etc. and no have one hellova book). This book was for the "i gotta have a song book" people, you know who u are. My primary "books" were my laptops (old macbook pro's), they worked wonderfully. I have a flyer on the table with the instructions on use, how to log in, pick a song etc. People were very interested in using these and not one person opened the book I have 40 hours in creating! :twisted: lol. When asked if we have a song, I directed them to the table and said have fun :mrgreen:

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

that's what i like to hear!

no more dead-tree song searching!
long live the server!