Mac Drive Compatibility

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
SKIP JOHNSON

Mac Drive Compatibility

Post by SKIP JOHNSON »

I am new to this forum and I'm still researching KJAMS. My biggest concern is the drive issue. It seems Macs typically don't have compatible drives. Is there a replacable internal drive that can be installed in a Mac laptop that will support CD+G?

ChurchCat

Post by ChurchCat »

The most robust solution that I have found is an external drive. The catchy named

Plextor PX-755UF - DVD±RW (±R DL) drive - Hi-Speed USB/IEEE

works great.

It is USB2 and Firewire and you can of course move it from between all of your Macs or hang on to when you upgrade.

You can save a few pounds by connecting an internal drive externally by using a case or an adaptor there is a section in the Wiki about it. I will see if I can find the link.

Others may advise you better but it seems that some Macs CAN read and write to CD+G (though not many) To find out download the trial version of kJams and try.

CC

ChurchCat

Post by ChurchCat »

The promised link.

Clicky

CC

SKIP JOHNSON

Post by SKIP JOHNSON »

Yes, thanks for the reply. I'm sure that would be a fine solution. I guess I was looking at finding a way to just replace the internal drive, and not have to carry around a second drive and hook it up, etc. Here's another thought. If I rip all my files onto the internal hard drive, then I shouldn't need a disc drive to play them, should I? I am a live performing musician using tracks to supplement my show, and since there are not thousands of songs we're talking about, it would be great to just have them permanently on the hard drive. Would I then just be able to use the external drive to rip the CD+G files onto the internal drive, and then not use the external for the live shows? Forgive me if this seems like a lame question - I'm still learning about all this.

ChurchCat

Post by ChurchCat »

SKIP JOHNSON wrote:Would I then just be able to use the external drive to rip the CD+G files onto the internal drive, and then not use the external for the live shows?

This is one use for kJams that I too need.

You are correct, once ripped the tracks will sit on the hard drive until you want them. You will not need the CD drive to play them. In fact if this is ALL you want kJams for you don't need to have a CD+G drive at all. Others will correct me if I am wrong but you can switch off the graphical importing feature and just import the audio in which case your internal drive will do the job.

Features that are great about kJams that make it good for a gigging musician include the following.

1- The tracks can be set to auto pause at the end. This allows you space to introduce the next song or wait for the cheers and applause to die down before you start your next number. ;)

2- It will play midi files.

3- It will work with a remote control so that you don't have to go over to the computer to start your next track.

4- You can store sets as playlists. For example you may have a set just for weddings, or a set with more dance tracks in.

5- You can change pitch and tempo of the songs.

Hope this helps.

CC

SKIP JOHNSON

Post by SKIP JOHNSON »

All those are great features I can definitely utilize. Actually I would like to keep the graphic files intact as I rip to the hard drive. I could use that to remind me of lyrics I don't yet have memorized, and since the laptop will have a monitor screen anyway, that would save me from hunting up lyrics for every song unnecessarily, thus improving the pacing of my set. So I guess my ideal is to be able to get the complete CD+G files loaded onto the hard drive, and then play them from there. It seems I may or may not need an external CD+G drive to do that, depending on what drive the Mac laptop has, and if it will read the files. I guess I won't know that until I try it, so my next step is to buy a laptop, download the trial version of kJams and give it a go. Has anyone had any success with the newer Superdrive reading CD+G?

dave
Site Admin

powerbook drives

Post by dave »

as mentioned in the Drive Compatibility section, the ONLY original powerbook drive that seems to work comes in the MacBook Pro, called "HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080M". Your very best bet is to personally go to your local Apple store and try kJams on their floor model, or look in Profiler to see if it's got the right drive. Then say you'll buy the computer then and there if they can guarantee you'll get that drive in your computer. Make them open the box they plan to sell to you and prove it's got that drive, cuz some macbook Pro's do NOT have that drive.

fifty8th

Post by fifty8th »

Well, there may be many more powerbook drives that do work.. We need more info from people on this.

If all you want to do is PLAY the discs.... like me.. There may be many more possibilities. I don't need to rip or burn ... just play discs. I am good at tearing the Powerbook G4 apart and could put a CD drive in...
If I just knew what and where to get it.

Thanks for anything you can tell me..

Jon
Jon

ocheye

Mac Drive Compatibility

Post by ocheye »

Do I take it that I could transfer files via afriends PC (That does read CDG files) onto my pen drive and put them on my own hard drive that way? That would suit me as I don't want to mess around with external drives or CDG discs once everything is installed

dave
Site Admin

yes

Post by dave »

of course

ocheye

Mac Drive Compatibility

Post by ocheye »

Thanks for that. Sounds a great package

dave
Site Admin

simple

Post by dave »

yes if they're tagged with ID3 data, it's way simple: file->add to library, choose the folder, click "tags" and you're done.