Songbook Software

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
JoeC

Songbook Software

Post by JoeC »

Has anyone found Mac compatible software to create a Karaoke Songbook? I dumped my 14,000+ song library into Apple Numbers hoping it would let me print flowing text into four columns per page (2 each for Artists & Song Titles). It doesn't unless I manually move all data to show up this way on each page. I was hoping to let the computer do the work for me!? I would like to get my print job under 400 pages with back to back printing also. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Songbook Software

Post by dave »

My advice is to get a $75 netbook instead of printing song books. netbooks will never, ever, ever have to be re-printed.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1253&p=7139&hilit=netbook#p7139

you then use the Server to let singers log in and request their songs.
http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Server

folks can use any web-enabled smart phone to get there, or the netbook you have sitting on a table.

Folks with iPhone / Touch / Pad will be able to use iJams:
http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Ijams

olskoolpro

Post by olskoolpro »

Is there any possibility of releasing the ijams app for droid or other smart phones? My non Iphone users would love to use it, but cannot at this time. :-)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

umm, doesn't the 'droid have a web browser?

Jon Leggitt

Post by Jon Leggitt »

The webserver interface can be a bit difficult to navigate using a phone, due to size, layout and, IIRC, some controls. Maybe someone could come up with a "mobile web" variant? Let the device's browser decide which version to use.

Also, if you've a dynamic ip address from the bar wi-fi, patrons can't just bookmark and forget. It's an added hassle that turns people off of using it. I get around it by bringing my own personal router (that has a reserved ip for my MB) to venues.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

FYI, I am (SLOWLY) working on an Android variant.

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

/clap!

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

I've been searching for an apple related program worth getting to make this nice and easy. So far no luck. If anyone has found a great program to do this please post. It's either that or buy some Netbooks.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Personally I have found old iBooks to be the best option. Netbooks are just such a PITA to use. (They do weigh a lot less though.)
I have a number of touchscreen Fujitsu P1120 Lifebooks, but they just don't work as well. Also considering switching to cheap Android tabs.
As for printing books, Excel works okay.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

what he said.

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

Can you (or anyone with experience) with netbooks explain how they are a pain in the a**? I am thinking of purchasing one to try out. But if they do not work, no point in wasting my money. the new android 7" displays seem little like them too. tying to get the best set up here and its coming to a close :shock:

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

The main issues with netbooks cheap enough to be worthwhile is that they are so small that typing is very difficult, their trackpads often suck to the point of making clicking buttons a hit or miss affair (literally) and they are very slow. Newer, more capable ones can do a better job, but they are significantly more expensive, to the point that used (or refurbished) full-fledged laptops make more sense.
As for Android, they have their own issues, that make the new ones not really worth the expense. But the cheap (<$100) Chinese aPad knock-offs might be more cost-effective.

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

How about your opinion on this. I have found some Augen 10.2" netbooks, brand new for around $100. Seen big enough for the job, but im just unsure of their ability to hold up. Have you had any experience with these? or actually seen them? Might be worthwhile to try I suppose for that money.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, there are a few issues. Pretty sure the Augen devices run Android, and that complicates things. In my research into writing an Android app, I can tell you that one problem is that Chrome on Android does NOT have a UI for BonJour/mDNS. What this means is that loading the server papes is not a straightforward process. Instead of just finding the service via the bookmarks menu, a la Safari, or by your machine name, you will have to enter the actual network IP address for each one (e.g. 191.168.1.100:12345) to find the page. This can change every time you connect to the network. You can get your IP address from the Network preference pane.

Also, I am a bit concerned about the build quality.

Other than that, they may be fine.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

Thanks for your input. I went out and looked at netbooks, what a pile of crap they all were :mrgreen: Then looked at the new 7" mini's out there. Just cant see using anything other than used cheap wi-fi ready laptops at this point. You are right, too hard to type, unreliable im sure, actually brought one home to try, did not like at all. Found a couple of used apple ibook g4's. This should be more than easy for people to use. I will update after my first show with these in full use.