time searching for songs?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
dave
Site Admin

Re: time searching for songs?

Post by dave »

No update on SQL, it's on the back burner until i complete the Windows version.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

As someone who IS testing it, I can tell you that it in general works OK. Mostly just undesirable assert fails that you can click through. I sometimes keep a copy of SilverJuke or some other karaoke program running in the background, to fill in if kJams crashes. All that said, since SQL is now officially backburnered, I do not use it live as much, since there is less point to testing it, being that the bug reports get filed for later, anyway.

Jon Leggitt

Post by Jon Leggitt »

Sorry about bumping the thread again, but I'm curious if *any* progress has been made on the SQL front.

I hate to harp on it, but search times are the only glaring issue left, IMHO, in what is otherwise an absolutely stellar app.

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

Jon Leggitt wrote:search times are the only glaring issue left, IMHO, in what is otherwise an absolutely stellar app.
Got to agree there
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

That and it doesn't mix drinks!
:)

Jon Leggitt

Post by Jon Leggitt »

Ummm... Did anyone besides me notice that the question wasn't actually answered?

Oh, and it doesn't need to mix drinks - I host in pubs.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

It WAS answered:
No update on SQL, it's on the back burner until i complete the Windows version.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yeah the only way that's going to get done sooner is if some enterprising code guru wants to step forward and write some SQLite code.

Club Ample

Post by Club Ample »

It's very discouraging to see that well over a year and a half later there is no progress made on the search times. :shock:

this is a great program but it is essentially useless to me until the search times are dramatically reduced. I can not afford to wait over 2 minutes for the initial search to finish.... the entire program locks up until it's done.

after the initial search the times are much less...but still in the 6-7 second range..and thats just an eternity during a live gig. it should be almost instant, and ideally it should automatically trim the visible songs in the library as you type.

I wonder if there are sql forums where you could post for hired jobs... this could be a nights work for some sql whiz kid and maybe not all that expensive to get accomplished.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

It should not be taking that long to perform the initial search. It sounds like there are some other issues involved.
That said, unfortunately the old search code was worked in at such a low level that the extrication of the old search code and installing of new SQL is far from trivial and much more complicated than a nights work.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Yes, i'd love to get that going, but i am just not versed in SQLite. I tried. I tried real hard. I actually worked for 6 months on it. yes, i did. but it just kicked my ass, and meanwhile, kJams stagnated. That's why it's now on the back burner. I am finishing the Windows version and the "1.0 Golden Master", so i can call it "done".

It does sound to me like you've got something extra slow going on, like you're showing a slow sort column. There are things you can do to speed up searching, please try them.

Fast searching and cross-fade filler music are the top two things i'm going to do for v1.5.

Meanwhile, if you know any SQLite code guru's who want to help, let me know.

djunod

Post by djunod »

I've worked with SQLite on Android, and now in .NET (MonoTouch & MonoMac) for wtkJams. Back when we were messing with Search *, I was downloading the entire kJams pList database and inserting into a SQLite database. I've thought about doing a MonoMac app that would run on the laptop/puter running kJams that would download the full song list and construct a SQLite database to send to wtkJams (it's a lot smaller then the pList due to never repeating an Artist name or Song Title, etc).

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

if you're stoked, you can help me get the SQLite db just going in kjams. interested? note: it's a lot of work.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

Posting here to follow progress...fast search and filler music would make this app pretty freaking perfect! Now that I am getting used to it...I'm impressed with what it can do!
Thanks!

Scott

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Filler music as a feature is not really necessary. Just use the crossfader script from here:
https://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Code/new ... Crossfader