time searching for songs?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Club Ample

time searching for songs?

Post by Club Ample »

I have about 485 gigs of karaoke... i forget how many songs... 115k or something maybe more... obviously a lot of duplicates but many dupes are varying brands which i wouldnt want to delete... nor do i have the time or patience to trim this down so it is what it is. i need a program that can manage that much music and more since its updated every month.

when i search for songs within kjams ... it takes anywhere from 5 seconds at a minimum .. to sometimes more than 10 seconds before the available songs show up....
i remember reading something about how kjams actually searches...and i cant remember where.

when i use pc programs to do karaoke i dont have that same issue... i tried karaoki pcdj demo and the search was almost instant.
other dj programs i use such as serato and virtual dj as you type in the letters it narrows down the files that could match
that makes it really easy and fast because you only have to type as much as you need to find the file , sometimes you can get away with only 4 or 5 letters before the song you want comes up...

any help on this would be appreciated

by the way dave... i do want to say the kjams program has worked for me at every gig ive used it... without fail.. no crashes...which is more important to me than quick searches... but quick searches would be nice :mrgreen:

dave
Site Admin

Re: time searching for songs?

Post by dave »

i'm actually working on that RIGHT NOW!

http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Slow_Searching

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

yepeeeee!
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:twisted:

Jon Leggitt

Post by Jon Leggitt »

So how is the SQL transition coming, anyway?

It's been a month since you mentioned it in the blog, so I was wondering if we could get a "State of the SQL" address?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

slow going. the core of it is being written by Nik Molnar and his time is much more limited than mine. The kJams search facility is very flexible and has many awesome things that must be re-implemented in the new system. I've had the "fast sorting" done since almost the start, but only just last Wednesday did we get some the most rudimentary fast-searching implemented. and it's very much not optimized. some operations in the new system currently take MUCH longer to do, which is kindof the opposite of the whole point. So it will still be a while yet before there's anything to work with. Unlike other features i've done in the past, i'm NOT going to release it "for testing" until it's been thoroughly optimized and tested and vetted and re-tested and is utterly rock solid, cuz converting to the SQL DB means there's no backward compatibility, so it HAS to work awesome, the first time. It's not a simple trick.

Jon Leggitt

Post by Jon Leggitt »

Outstanding! I'll be looking forward to it, whenever it finally happens.

For the record, I hope I didn't sound impatient - I just figured that everyone was wanting to know, so thought I'd bite the bullet and actually ask.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

not at all :D

yay!

Phil Dowling

Post by Phil Dowling »

gr8 can u plz let use no when this is sorted i have same problem 143,000 karaoke

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

no, i think i'll just keep it a total secret.

of course i'll tell you silly!! :D

meanwhile you can make life better by:

1) get more RAM
2) follow the hints here http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Slow_Searching

Phil Dowling

Post by Phil Dowling »

Hi Dave

lol i didnt mean it like that. i meant by sending an alert or email out or something

thx

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

oh, i'll probably post into this thread

and eventually make a "major" release which will have that info in it.

Club Ample

Post by Club Ample »

This isnt really a solution but until the kjams database is updated for faster searching..... this was my fix.

I only added to the kjams library the most popular brands of karaoke that I use... Sound Choice, Chartbuster, Sunfly, and Pop Hits Monthly.
This cut my library down to from 136922 to 55506 songs.

I left out all the other music that hardly ever gets used.

I have a Macbook pro.. less than 1 year old.. 4 gigs of Ram i-7cpu.
My search time went from 9-11 seconds to a much more manageable 2.5-3.5 seconds.
The software is more usable with that search time and I really didn't lose much in terms of my commonly used songs.

If you feel you MUST have that last few % of songs that get requested from time to time...
You can still find the files using Mac "finder" and then add 1 song at a time as needed to the kjams library in the middle of a performance....(perhaps not recommended, but it worked for me). Just be sure to select ONLY that one file, maybe even drag it to your desktop for easy finding later. Be sure to have the "Warn if current song will be interrupted" ON .. or the song you are adding to the library will automatically interrupt the song playing... and, well..that's not fun lol .

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

If you're intrepid and an ADVANCED computer user, you can TEST the "fast searching", but there ARE bugs, so be forwarned.

but it's wicked wicked fast!!!

see the link above on slow searching. on that page is a link to how to test "Fast Searching".

Jon Leggitt

Post by Jon Leggitt »

Just thought I'd give thread a bump, and see if we could get an update on the state of the SQL. Is it any closer to being stable enough for "prime-time"?

Jon

P.S. - I'd love to help with the "sooper sekrit" testing, but my patrons would come unglued if I were forced to stop my show in order to switch back to the old DB.